Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent really that important??

Old 01-25-2002, 05:52 PM

Default Scent really that important??

Greets,
Got an interesting ?? for you all, is scent ( ie yours ) all that important to a rifle hunter or not?? I mean, obviously you dont want to go out there smelling like you've needed a shower for days, but...
My take on it is this: I do anything I can to help my odds of taking a deer, have yet to be able to buy all the scent elimination stuff, as I am very low budget. My partner has some cover scent spray we both use. In any other time of the year I have never had a problem getting close to deer, including elk season which is just after deer rifle season here. ( Had one come within 20 yards of me this last year, while I was just sitting resting on the edge of a logging road, he didnt run till he spotted me when I stood up to move on ). During deer season however, I have yet to get any closer than around 50 yards ( except years ago while bowhunting, but I was in a tree then ).
Just figured I would get the general feel for the topic in here

Just my uneducated opinion!
Terry
Old 01-25-2002, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scent really that important??

All will agree that no scent elimation system works as well as, KEEPING THE WIND IN YOUR FAVOR", but something else to concider is the lay of the land that you're hunting and the way that you're hunting.If you're on the open plains of western Ks, Eastern Colo., where you spot and stalk to with in 200 yrds, probably doesn't matter too much, but if you're trying to sneak on an elk or deer in heavy timber on some mtn. side some where, where you can only see 60 yrds. then would be best to do all you can to control your scent as much as possible.I don't use any clothing that absorbs scent, but I do take a shower every morning, or afternoon, before going bow hunting, I wear rubber boots, wear clothing that has been washed in UV killer scent elem. detergent, and use both scent free foot powder and deoaderant, and periodically spray my clothing with scent eleminating spray, and I have had good success while bowhunting mule deer and white tails.
Old 01-25-2002, 09:09 PM

I can't honestly say that my scent has ever spooked deer that I know about. I've had several deer walk right over my trail.
Also, I can't say I've ever had a deer come in to to an attractant scent. Just shower and keep your clothes clean.
Old 01-25-2002, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not to me but I can't speak for everyone else . A lot depends on how you hunt.