Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Found Neighbors Stand On Property Line >

Found Neighbors Stand On Property Line

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Found Neighbors Stand On Property Line

Old 01-31-2010, 07:03 PM
Spike

Buddy, I dont know what to tell ya! I'm havin the same sort of issue, except I have pics of people walkin my lease!...Posted signs evidently dont mean much to some folks...I guess its a losin battle. Best of luck in whatever you decide to do though!
Old 02-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Typical Buck

Figure out where they are traveling from. Cut them off before they get to his land. Or set up your land to draw them away from that area.

You can go so far as to sabotage that area after you are confident that it won't affect how the deer are traveling onto your land. Put lots of human pressure on it just by walking through a bunch and the deer will use it less often, you could even buy predator scents. After he hunts a season or two without seeing anything, he will move the stand.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:03 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Stonewall308
Figure out where they are traveling from. Cut them off before they get to his land. Or set up your land to draw them away from that area.

You can go so far as to sabotage that area after you are confident that it won't affect how the deer are traveling onto your land. Put lots of human pressure on it just by walking through a bunch and the deer will use it less often, you could even buy predator scents. After he hunts a season or two without seeing anything, he will move the stand.
That will definately make good relations with your neighbor. (If he's on his land ignor him)
Old 02-02-2010, 06:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm not sure of the specifics of the laws dealing with harassment of hunters, especially if one is doing things on one's own land. But I would assume that if one is making what could be proven to be overt attempts to disrupt a neighbors hunt and he complains, it could backfire.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:32 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mr.mc54
That will definately make good relations with your neighbor. (If he's on his land ignor him)
As will setting up a stand which is clearly intended to hunt over a hot spot which is on your neighbor's land. In other words, the neighbor who set up the stand has already taken the first step toward being unneighborly.

Even if you were bow hunting, 10 feet off the property line and facing directly onto the adjacent property is clearly intended to harvest animals on your neighbor's property. If we were talking 30 yards, and you knew that the neighbor was only bow hunting, you may have an argument that this setup is not intended to harvest animals off the adjacent property.

Originally Posted by Lanse couche couche
I'm not sure of the specifics of the laws dealing with harassment of hunters, especially if one is doing things on one's own land. But I would assume that if one is making what could be proven to be overt attempts to disrupt a neighbors hunt and he complains, it could backfire.
Well Lanse, I can tell you that there is no law in any state that prevent someone from walking around on their own land or putting predator scents on their own land so as to alter the travel patterns of wild animals, regardless of whether the intent is to harrass someone on an adjacent property.

And I don't imagine it would backfire seeing as the neighbor would never be aware of it.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:52 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Stonewall308
As will setting up a stand which is clearly intended to hunt over a hot spot which is on your neighbor's land. In other words, the neighbor who set up the stand has already taken the first step toward being unneighborly.

Even if you were bow hunting, 10 feet off the property line and facing directly onto the adjacent property is clearly intended to harvest animals on your neighbor's property. If we were talking 30 yards, and you knew that the neighbor was only bow hunting, you may have an argument that this setup is not intended to harvest animals off the adjacent property.

Well Lanse, I can tell you that there is no law in any state that prevent someone from walking around on their own land or putting predator scents on their own land so as to alter the travel patterns of wild animals, regardless of whether the intent is to harrass someone on an adjacent property.

And I don't imagine it would backfire seeing as the neighbor would never be aware of it.

All I can say is wow!It is these piss matches between hunters that will be the down fall of the sport and access to hunting ground.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Thumbs down

Sounds like you're getting pretty territorial over land you don't even own. If you walked up to me and told me to move a stand on my own property I can guarantee that you wouldn't like my response. By any chance does the neighbor have your Dad's permission to hunt/retrieve game on his land? Did you even bother to ask him? You have a lot to learn about being a good neighbor.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:17 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by teedub31
All I can say is wow!It is these piss matches between hunters that will be the down fall of the sport and access to hunting ground.
Urbanization, democrats, and lack of ethics will be the downfall of hunting.

Setting up a stand on your own land in a way that is clearly intended to harvest animals off your neighbors land is unethical. It is clearly illegal to harvest animals off your neighbors land without permission, and this guy is taking advantage of the fact that you can't police the property line 24/7. As I said before, if it was even 30 yards you may have a debate, but 10 feet off the property line is clearly intended for shooting over the property line. No one sets up to take a directly vertical shot.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:33 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by kevin1
Sounds like you're getting pretty territorial over land you don't even own. If you walked up to me and told me to move a stand on my own property I can guarantee that you wouldn't like my response. By any chance does the neighbor have your Dad's permission to hunt/retrieve game on his land? Did you even bother to ask him? You have a lot to learn about being a good neighbor.
What difference does it make if he owns it? He paid for the lease, so he owns the hunting rights. Technically, unless his neighbor has completely paid off the bank, he doesn't own his property either.

Let me make an analogy. Your neighbor builds a fence across his back yard, and he puts a gate in the fence that only leads on to your property. The only place to go once you walk through the gate is onto your private property. Clearly there is nothing legally stopping him from making the gate, but the only reason he has done it is to be able to easily tresspass on your land.

It is the same situation here - what the neighbor has actually done isn't illegal, but the only purpose for doing it is to be able to do something illegal at some undetermined point in the future.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Stonewall,

First of all, a stand 10 feet back from a property line allows a field of fire well beyond just shooting at game on the neighboring property. It seems to be a fairly small group of people who dont grasp that. A stand set up directly on the property line and oriented so that one can only fire on the neighboring property would certainly be asking for trouble. But this one isnt, so why go off half-****ed?

Second of all, no offense to the poster, but if he is unhappy about having a stand close to his property i would imagine that his estimate of the distance from the stand to his property is probably more than 10 feet. Either way, a stand ten feet or more on the neighbors property is NOT your business, any more than you walking within ten feet of his boundary line to check out the location of the stand would be your business.

And, as I said, one can certainly do pretty much what they want on their own property, but if one is doing stuff with the intent to disrupt a neighbors hunting in an OVERT manner, you could be asking for trouble. Deer are much less skittish than folks think so i dont think that sneaking out at night and dribbling fox urine in the area is gonna have all the deer fleeing to the next county. so, if you do start doing what would probably be necessary to really drive the deer away from that spot, you are probably doing something overt that would be leaning toward hunter harassment.

And your analogy is bad. More accurately it would be an issue of if the neighbor builds a fence with a gate that opens ten feet away from your property. if you start throwing a fit about that then most folks are gonna think you are about as nutty as someone who gets their panties in a wad over a deer stand ten feet over on the next property

Last edited by Lanse couche couche; 02-02-2010 at 11:20 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.