Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Found Neighbors Stand On Property Line >

Found Neighbors Stand On Property Line

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Found Neighbors Stand On Property Line

Old 01-28-2010, 07:10 PM
Typical Buck

I think you are better off becoming friends with the guy and feel him out on how he is hunting the stand then to approach him with an attitude. As mentioned before, if he is not crossing the fence, he is not doing anything wrong. He may have had permission from the land owner you lease from to cross the fence. Good luck!
Old 01-28-2010, 08:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

He ain't doing nothing wrong that you know of and you certainly can't expect to tell or ask a guy to do anything on his own property.

The whole set up could be a result of many different theories. One is he may know that the deer that make those rubs are coming from his property and he may be posted with his back to the tree wanting to remain kinda hidden when sitting and try for them as they approach the fence. And he may give his butt a break now and stand facing the tree to look for them. Or the deer making all those rubs may be unshootable to either of you because they are all happening at night.

Who knows? But I would definately introduce yourself ASAP. And if you want a little advice I would just into yourself and let HIM talk about deer alot more than you. He has prob been around long before you. Listen and learn. Let the first time you guys talk go however he makes it go. Don't bring the stand up.

This will give you an opportunity to see what kind of guy he is and digest things for awhile. Heck next season is along ways off. This guy may turn out to be a good friend down the road - YOU DON'T KNOW. He may approach you one day and tell you he's putting in some plots and if you want to go 1/2 on seeds and fuel he can do something on your ground. He may stop you one day on the road and because he's around alot more often than you he may tell you that you might want to keep an eye on a particular area because he always sees deer coming or going around there and the last few weeks there's been a great buck frequenting the area. Maybe he has 1000 acres and hunts it alone. Could be a big winner to have him tell you if you want to hunt some over there too it's cool. Or if you have a couple extra guys coming they are welcome. Thing is you just never know.

What I'm getting at is crossing back over a river once you burnt the bridge leaves you no choice but to try and swim.

If after getting aqquainted with the guy you still want to discuss the stand then the opportunity (and the bridge) is still going to be there.

Good hunting
Old 01-28-2010, 08:22 PM
Spike

If he is legal nothing really can be said of it, but if you see the person its worth mentioning
Old 01-29-2010, 04:45 AM
Fork Horn

Just hunt and don't worry about it.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:51 AM
Typical Buck

I got a situation just like this one. I have been hunting the same stand for ten years and a guy bought the land next to mine three years ago. Ever since he bought the land , he has tied rags on the property line, put up piles of dead wood along the line fence (on runways) and set up dummies in orange suits on lawn chairs, to cut off this funnel from my hunting. My stand is well on my property, however he tries his best to ruin my hunt. I won't give in and have killed many a big bucks right under his nose. Why would a new person that moves in want to start trouble? All the neighbors hate this guy.

Back to your post- if he's on his land leave him alone or it could turn ugly.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my case when I first leased my land I talked to all the neighbors and gave them permission to keep right on hunting the land i leased if I was allowed on theirs. 99% of landowners have no prob with this and it works great for all involved. As it turns out.. instead of a 100 acres being all I can hunt I have literally thousands to hunt now. Bascially my little lease gave me access to the entire area and I get along great with all my neighbors. Those neighbors sure do come in handy late in the season when you all get together and do a few drives.

The bottom line is.. unless you do like the one poster says and get a national Guard detachment to patrol the land 24-7 you are enver gonna know whos on it anyways so you may as well make it a profitable deal for all involved.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

our property neighbors do the same thing. they set up a stand just on the other side of the fence and face towards our property. i don't get why they have to do that when they travel through there land the same as ours.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by singleshot1
I need some opinions here. My buddy and I were walking the property line (fence) of our 300 acre lease in Southern TN yesterday. We got into the lease a week before the season, so we didn't have much time to walk the entire fence line until the season closed (2 weeks ago).

During our walk, in the middle of the woods, we came upon a fairly new ladder stand on the property of our neighbor to the east. The stand is about 10 feet from the fence and facing directly on to our property. The area where we found it is just above an area where we also found about 20 good rubs on our side. We have trail cam pics of several nice bucks in the area as well.

I realize that 'legally' he is doing nothing wrong. The stand is on his property, but dang it, it just made me furious to see it facing our land. What would you guys do?

I'm thinking that the first step would be to try to ask him nicely to move any stands at least 75 yards away from the line. If that doesn't work, then I'm open to suggestions.
It's a lease, not fee ownership, so you don't really have any land to speak of. If you can't find another spot on the rest of it, than find somewhere else to hunt. Or put a stand right next to it and be a stinker.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

If he was on a tree on your land then you would have a gripe, but since he's on his land he's perfectly within his right to hunt anywhere he pleases on his land.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with most of the folks on here that say introduce yourself... This person has put some time in to learn where the deer are and since they know why not become their friend. The person as you mentioned is on their land... Would I like to see that if I was leasing land... Hell no but again its on his side of the line so there is nothing illegal going on as far as the stand is concerned. We can "if this then that" all day long but again the best thing to do is learn when the guy is on the stand, introduce yourself, learn his side of the story then see if you can work together... Remember the more team members you have to play with the better off you will be!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.