Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Game Camera Theives

Old 01-12-2010, 07:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default Game Camera Theives

I saw somewhere that a hunter caught someone on camera stealing his equipment. Does anyone else know where it was. I can't find it now. Thanks
Old 01-13-2010, 01:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't recall reading that thread, but do recall reading one where, I think it was uncle matt(?), had his memory card removed from one. Then another where the card got pics of not much, but possible shots "close" to where the thief was as some movement made the camera go off.

iSnipe
Old 01-14-2010, 03:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default You wonder sometimes . . .

how a thief can find a hidden camo trail cam on a wooded property?

They must look close to where the feeders are located.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:23 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Valentine
how a thief can find a hidden camo trail cam on a wooded property?

They must look close to where the feeders are located.
I never owned one but imagine they flash and they see it. Always guys on here reporting stolen or shot ones. I figured the ones they can't reach get shot so their picture isn't on it. Don't know though, just guessing.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

I had one stolen recently. its a horrible feeling when your excited to see what you get on your camera and then your camera isn't there.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:53 PM
Typical Buck

thats why i am so afraid of getting some. Spend a few hundred bucks on some decent game cams and people don't respect other peoples property. I am paranoid enough about my stands, and yank them down the very next day once the season goes down. I might get one to put on the corner of my property next to a little deer feeder I made out of PVC pipe. I only put corn in it when its legal to in Virginia for me 5 yr old boy to watch deer.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:34 PM
Fork Horn

Round here the local kids go drinking and 4-wheeling and poaching deer at night and drive all over the farm fields where they think they can get away with it. If they get near a camera the flash tells them that they are caught on multiple charges if they don't steal the game camera. Thats why I like the ones that send pictures automatically to a site that you can access by computer, and work without a flash. You already have at least one picture of them, and probably many more before they realize that stealing the camera won't help, and hide their face. If they go ahead and steal it, thats one more charge to add when they're caught by the pictures you got from the website.
I was talking to a couple kids lately who asked if a lot of people maybe poached on my land and I didn't know about it. I lied that I had these cameras everywhere and knew exactly who came and went and what time of day, and that if I kept seeing certain people who shouldn't be there, I was getting pissed enough to turn some pictures over to the game warden. One of the kids nodded and agreed that this was a good idea and the other looked like he was ready to bolt. So he is busted. The best thing is, he believed that I may have incriminating pics of him and probably his friends too, and he will tell all concerned to stay away from my land. The other great thing is that the other kid knows, and I'm sure they talked after I left, that I do have camera's around because his brother used to check them for me. Nobody knows if I'm bluffing or not, but why take the chance with your freedom? So, hopefully I've stopped some of the idiots from screwing around on my place.