Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
dumb question about winter hunting apparel >

dumb question about winter hunting apparel

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

dumb question about winter hunting apparel

Old 01-09-2010, 11:56 PM
Spike

Red face dumb question about winter hunting apparel

guys
this might sound dumb but i wanted an expert opinion before i make the purchase.
im planning to invest around 200 usd in 3 layers of winter hunting clothes.
should i buy the white camouflage apparel or the green leaf camouflage will do?

im thinking of buying under armour.
anything other brand thats not so pricey?

thanks
castor troy
Old 01-10-2010, 02:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd recommend a pattern from Predator camo called "fall gray". (You can google it.) It 's not white but has a lot of light gray in to break up your outline against a light background or open sky. I use it any time I'm hunting after the leaves fall. As far as Underarmour, I haven't seen any "knockoffs" that can match it in warmth. I'm a big fan.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:33 AM
Spike

thanks.
im checking out the fall gray camo.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:23 AM
Typical Buck

My take on Under Armour is to buy it if you don't care about money. There is nothing special about it except the price. It is polyester fabric that wicks moisture and there are plenty of other brands that are more reasonably priced. With proper layering and choice of fabrics, you don't need to break the bank. $120 for a top and bottom is crazy, I am not buying a suit I am buying underwear.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:31 AM
Fork Horn

A sky pattern doubles well for a winter pattern.
I think Bass Pros Redhead Baselayer 100% polyester long underwear is great stuff for the money. It is impregnated with an antibacterial (actually, all polyester has an antibacterial factor to it) which helps keep odor down.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:55 AM
Fork Horn

Here is the combo I finally found. For years I wore tons of layers and a thick coat, this year I used the following: Carhartt Work Dri Extreme Cold bottums and top and zip turtle neck...this is awesome stuff...way better and cheaper than Under Armour. Then I would wear my Cabelas Outfitter Camo Windshear sweater topped with a Artic Shield H4 blaze orange jacket. I have never been so warm. But, in my opinion, good long underwear/base layer is big time worth it! Don't get the green stuff unless you are hunting in "green" woods....if you are hunting winter with snow and leafless trees etc...get the gray tones. Also, windshear is great stuff and that H4 jacekt is AMAZING...I wore that just over the turtle neck a couple days when it was around 25 degrees and I was nice and warm...great product.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:11 AM
Little Doe Peep

Smile

I wear a children's size 10 and the only people who make decent stuff in that size is Under Armor. So that's what I wear. It's good stuff, but unreasonably expensive. There have to be other good products. My husband wears military surplus stuff that he gets for a song and it works fine.

We sheep suggest nice warm wool It will keep you warm even when wet
Old 01-10-2010, 07:04 AM
Spike

alright guys.thanks for all the feedback.
it helps.
i have decided to go for the UA base-moisture wicking top and leggings.
i am a bit confused on the 2nd insulating layer and the top jacket for wind-rain protection.
i cant seem to find these two top layers.
can someone look through these links and recommend me apparel for these 2 layers.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...ntId=cat470076
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...t=catfeatclhun

much appreciated.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

yep. military polypropelene thermals are a lot better than under armor. 19.99 for the tops and 19.99 for the bottoms. you can have 4 pairs of this stuff for the price of 1 UA set. the UA stuff does nothing for me but give me the chills because it wicks so fast. Useless for me!
Old 01-10-2010, 07:05 AM
Spike

forgot this.
what kind of shoes do i need for the snow?
ill be walking quite a bit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.