Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Doe Management

Old 01-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default Doe Management

Is it normal to see fawns in December? Or does it mean that a doe was breed late?
Old 01-08-2010, 06:32 PM
Typical Buck

i would have to say the doe was breed late.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Depending on what part of the country you are hunting in, it can be common to see young fawns in Nov and Dec. In South Bama and NW Fl it is that way much of the area.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

or how big a fawn?

I still see does with their summer offspring - 9 months old - but I suspect that you mean a young, maybe spotted fawn?

FH
Old 01-08-2010, 07:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Farm hunter, we commonly see spotted fawns in Nov. and sometimes in Dec.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:35 AM
Fork Horn

The property is in the deep south. The fawns are not spotted. I just wanted to know if thats normal to see them this late in the season, because I was told that if you see big bodied bucks, with small racks, it's usually because they were bred late. There antlers never catch up with there bodies. If thats true, then I need to harvest some more does on our property. Any suggestions?
Old 01-09-2010, 06:42 AM
Fork Horn

Well, I still see fawns with mom until the next years crop...unless they are kicked during the rut, but these fawns are now bigger, 9 months old? etc....so I don't worry much about that, but rather if there are way to many does on the property compared to bucks then some probably need to be harvested. Personally, I don't care if its a buck or a doe, they both eat!
Old 01-09-2010, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

The latest I have ever seen of fawn with spots here in NW Arkansas was early October like the first week and the only reason I could see the spots is it was righ under my stand I'd never a known if it was 20+ yard's
Old 01-09-2010, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by zophy
I was told that if you see big bodied bucks, with small racks, it's usually because they were bred late. There antlers never catch up with there bodies. If thats true, then I need to harvest some more does on our property. Any suggestions?
Totally false..... did you realize that it takes a buck 5 years beofore his skeletal frame is even done developing.... compared to the mere 1 1/2 years it takes for a Doe to reach physical maturity?
Old 01-10-2010, 01:59 PM
Spike

Default Doe Family

I think that after the rut the doe fawns get back in the group with their mothers. I have seen as many as 14 deer together lately and not an antler in the bunch. Here in NC and SC a fawn this time of year will weigh near 60 lbs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.