Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
might be weird but it sure works >

might be weird but it sure works

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

might be weird but it sure works

Old 01-04-2010, 02:09 PM
Spike

Default might be weird but it sure works

so i saw another gentlemans post regarding cattle and reminded me maybe i should share this with yall. i usually solo hunt my uncles 200 acres, but this year decided to take a buddy. now he has some pasture and 3 horses(pets) that have free roam. our first hunt i had to #2 BAD so i head back to the camper to see my buddy sitting there looking pissed. so i inquire to find out the horses had seen him climb his stand and had hung out on the hopes of food or petting. he had got disheartend after a bit and left. so i break out laughing at this and explain to him that they are WAY more of a help than a hinderence. i honestly cannot count the amount of deer i have shot because they werent paying attention on account of the horses. they actually are such a help when i close the gate i wait ten or so min hoping they will show up and walk with me to my stand. through the years of this it has become obvious that deer CAN tell the sound of horses moving thru the woods and immediatly disregard the commotion as non-threatening. which has literally allowed me to walk right up to them. i have witnessed them grazing next to each other on multiple occasions. one time i asked my uncle if he did that when he hunted to which he replied " duh deer dont count feet" the other thread got me thinking from what people say it is VERY different with cattle any thought on why??? happy hunting
Old 01-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

there is actually a product that is trying to succeed as a horse barn smell in a stick..basically aa good idea to hang your huntin clothes with the horses
Old 01-04-2010, 03:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
there is actually a product that is trying to succeed as a horse barn smell in a stick..basically aa good idea to hang your huntin clothes with the horses
I think a lady at the store today was wearing that as perfume.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by uncle matt
I think a lady at the store today was wearing that as perfume.

LMAO...i think i have smelled a few wearing it before to
Old 01-04-2010, 04:44 PM
Spike

Default actually

i leave my clothes in the barn year round and get dressed/undressed in there she used to have a donky MAN did i love that thing would NOT leave my side and could shoot of its back he was my best friend come to think of it
Old 01-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by LONGRANGE08
so i saw another gentlemans post regarding cattle and reminded me maybe i should share this with yall. i usually solo hunt my uncles 200 acres, but this year decided to take a buddy. now he has some pasture and 3 horses(pets) that have free roam. our first hunt i had to #2 BAD so i head back to the camper to see my buddy sitting there looking pissed. so i inquire to find out the horses had seen him climb his stand and had hung out on the hopes of food or petting. he had got disheartend after a bit and left. so i break out laughing at this and explain to him that they are WAY more of a help than a hinderence. i honestly cannot count the amount of deer i have shot because they werent paying attention on account of the horses. they actually are such a help when i close the gate i wait ten or so min hoping they will show up and walk with me to my stand. through the years of this it has become obvious that deer CAN tell the sound of horses moving thru the woods and immediatly disregard the commotion as non-threatening. which has literally allowed me to walk right up to them. i have witnessed them grazing next to each other on multiple occasions. one time i asked my uncle if he did that when he hunted to which he replied " duh deer dont count feet" the other thread got me thinking from what people say it is VERY different with cattle any thought on why??? happy hunting
me to.....and one time is was a 140-150 class buck
Old 01-04-2010, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen a few hunters on video walk very close to bucks carrying their bow over their head simulating a large rack. The first time I saw this, it was Greg Miller. In each case, the hunter was walking straight at the buck. LOL!

I know some bowhunters get close by stalking using an antelope deer decoy in front of them. Maybe if there's already horses in the area, a decoy of a horse can be made up to fool the deer too?!!!

I always thought horses scared deer away more than cattle?

iSnipe
Old 01-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well crap, get a horse for one of those grueling mountain hunts and just lay real low on it!
Old 01-05-2010, 11:45 AM
Spike

Default Yup

"me to.....and one time is was a 140-150 class buck " im not that lucky unfortunatly lol

and i would ride one except for two reasons
1) i think the new outline might spook them.
2) horses scare the sh** out of me i barely am used to petting them riding it is TOTALLY out of the question
go ahead im a puss i know but the thought of riding something i cant control bugs me.before someone chims in saying they can control their horse tell that to my buddies wife who died a couple years back after being thrown from her horse.
i-snipe- hers stay out all year not sure if that makes a difference but i can assure you the deer there pay them ZERO attention just walk right past them. actually i think the deer might even use them as a early warning system, cause the deer take off when they snort and they snort when they get excited seeing a person thinking they have food/attention etc

Last edited by LONGRANGE08; 01-05-2010 at 11:49 AM.