Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunting with cows

Old 01-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default hunting with cows

well the property I hunt has cows and I was wondering of any of yall have any experience hunting with them. I put a trail cam up to see what deer are coming on a trail and I think I am going to get a lot of pics of cows.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt property that has cows and one thing I learned is that you want to avoid them when you're walking into your setup, they will and do start mooing, and warning animals close by that something isn't right. As for Cow pictures... I don't know if the cows will be on the game trails, my experience with them is they usually tend to stay in the pasture, if provided, but I have had a cow come in under my stand in some of the thickest woods i've ever been in. So, in all reality, you never know. Just don't shoot one, you might make the owner a little upset, and draggin that thing out would be one heck of an ordeal.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Well, I have 4 large cows and 3 heifers on the property and deer are always on the mineral salt licks and in the feed troughs when the cows are not around....We counted 12 deer on the property at dusk back in October and they are always in my driveway at night..........
Old 01-03-2010, 05:41 PM
Spike

I chuckled at the title of this thread. It brought up hilarious images.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I HATE hunting with cows. It has been my expirences that deer try and avoid areas with cattle. I have 2 different properties that i hunt that are less than a mile away from each other, i see a lot more deer on the property without cattle. As for the trail camera and the trails, i dont think deer would use cattle trails and vice versa so it should be easy to figure out witch trails to put your camera on.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hate hunting with Cows...they won't help carry my gear and I like my milk cold not luke warm!....OK I got that out of the way

I have Cows next to our Farm and the Deer do not like them,they usually stay away from them and the area's around them...guess they associate Humans with Cows and don't like to be near or around them because sooner or later a human will be there to tend to them?

We have Cows and Horse's on our Lease Property,they tend to keep the thickets too nice and clean so the Deer don't bed down as close as they would normally do in a Cow-less situation.The Owner removes the Cows and Horses about a month before Deer Season but without any nice open fields of grass the Deer don't cross during the morning and evening hours...Thank God for the Big Woods and Timber we hunt out of or it would be even hard to see or get a nice Deer!......Did I mention I DON"T LIKE COWS!!!!
Old 01-03-2010, 06:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by kyhunter93
I hunt property that has cows and one thing I learned is that you want to avoid them when you're walking into your setup, they will and do start mooing, and warning animals close by that something isn't right. As for Cow pictures... I don't know if the cows will be on the game trails, my experience with them is they usually tend to stay in the pasture, if provided, but I have had a cow come in under my stand in some of the thickest woods i've ever been in. So, in all reality, you never know. Just don't shoot one, you might make the owner a little upset, and draggin that thing out would be one heck of an ordeal.
Yeah they like to get mooing when they are pestered by you. And if deer hear it they know what's up by those sounds. But generally I find the cows don't bother the deer. I see deer go across their pastures plenty.

Now for a real important thing to know...........

They can and they will stomp your rear end if they choose to and don't think those big fat cows can't get moving. If one comes after you you best have a tree to put between the 2 of you.

Especially in the dark. Ditto for horses
Old 01-03-2010, 07:04 PM
Spike

I hunt in and around a cow pasture. I have taken 2 does out of the pasture this year and last year my wife and i both took nice 8pts. out of the pasture. I don't think that the deer like the cattle but i don't know that they don't like the cattle either. As for the trail cam I wouldn't be suprised if you have some close-ups of cows, they can be curious. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where I hunt, deer avoid cows like the plague. I was getting a ton of pics in one spot, when the cows were released in this area, the deer pics just about stopped cold.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

i hunt next to a woods with cows on the other side...its the best peice of hunting ground in the area!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.