Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunting with cows

Old 01-04-2010, 06:00 AM
Fork Horn

They have driven me crazy in times past. They'll see you get into your stand early in the afternoon and loiter around staring at you for hours, knowing you're there.

Believe me, horses are alot worse. They are just more obnoxious.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

In '06 one of the farms I hunted in Alberta that had cows. There were actually cow trails going through the woods I was hunting! My guide told me the deer are used to the cows and they wouldn't be a problem. At first light one morning I saw 2 different bucks feeding alonge the edge of one of the pastures that had cows in it. The deer just give them plenty of room.

I had this whiteface hereford come down one of the trails and stop to smell my Renzo decoy that I had out! You can't see the decoy because of the angle it's on. But you can see him sticking his neck out for a wiff. I thought it was really neat and snapped this pic.
Attached Thumbnails hunting with cows-alberta-large-.jpg  

Last edited by early in; 01-04-2010 at 07:13 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt around approximatly 50 steer's and if I see their on one side of the field I go opposite because when you are sneaking up on a doe and your JUST out of bow range and a herd of steer's comes boiling at you...it sucks!!Your camera...if over feed....will have ton's of cow pictures!
Old 01-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

One evening as it got dark I deceided to climb down with my climbing stand. Got to the ground and started getting my things together. Stood up, turned around and came face to face with a big black and white cow. This startled me a bit. I had no idea what to do with it, so I left.

There were fields nearby, but none with cows. I drove to the nearest farm and asked if they had cows. They said they did have some out back. I told them what I saw in the woods and they said they had one cow with a knack for getting out.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Fork Horn

In a couple places I hunt there are cows. The deer really don't seem to mind a whole lot. We have one big pasture that has quite a few cows in it and every year we see a pretty good amount of deer. Our cows really won't start mooing when they see someone, they will generally run away and then slowly come back in to where ever you are. My grandpa has a decent sized feed lot at his place that is always full of cows and the deer are always around and coming through the pastures, but, I am pretty sure the only reason for this is because of the corn, hay and silage that is fed to the cows is easy pickings for the deer.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:53 PM
Spike

i used to hunt some property with cows, the owner was cool about it, hed put the cows in a different pasture a few days before Id come down to hunt....and yes a huge cow will scare the crapola out of you at dark when you meet face to face on a trail.....especially when its a whole heard you startled they are all staring you down.....
Old 01-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Spike

I have hunted in a very small area with cows. And have killed a 9 point.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:20 PM
Typical Buck

We had some get out over the summer from a farm nearby, belted duchesses. As I was going to my stand opening morning of bow, they were under it and I stampeded them. I saw 2 deer that morning, and missed one, a 5 point at 20 yards, right from where they had gone off. They do affect, however. I only saw 2 more deer in that field the whole year. The same field they frequented that whole summer.
BigBuck95
Old 01-04-2010, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by uncle matt
Yeah they like to get mooing when they are pestered by you. And if deer hear it they know what's up by those sounds. But generally I find the cows don't bother the deer. I see deer go across their pastures plenty.

Now for a real important thing to know...........

They can and they will stomp your rear end if they choose to and don't think those big fat cows can't get moving. If one comes after you you best have a tree to put between the 2 of you.

Especially in the dark. Ditto for horses
Very very very true. I learned this the hard way... It was 5 in the morning and me and my buddy were walking to the blind, and we came around a corner in the field and while im looking down at my boots trying to avoid big ol cow patties my friend throws him arm out in front of me and whispers to stay very still. When I look up, there is one of the biggest cows on the property staring dead at us from only about 5 yards away. Needless to say, we backed out nice and slow, but that wasnt enough, because she came high tailing it after us, thank god for big ol trees and track season..