Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer and Wind Direction ???

Old 12-30-2009, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default Deer and Wind Direction ???

Do Deer always travel into or with the wind ? I guess my question is, If Im in a stand. Wich way should I expect to see Deer coming from ? Or does it matter ?
Old 12-30-2009, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

No. I've seen deer work the direction they want to head. I don't believe "smart" bucks work a scrape from "downwind" either. I think they work the scrape from the direction they are coming from.

I do believe mature bucks utilize the wind a lot to stay alive. I believe they use it when picking a bedding spot and believe they work to their bedding spot from downwind as well. If a deer only worked upwind in their ventures, they would never get where they want and end up in the next county. LOL!

One thing is certain... most bucks will work you from the downwind side when you are calling or rattling to them. Doubt me? Try it. LOL! You'll get busted enough to know they're smart using the wind when it's to their advantage.

I heard a theory that bucks work to their food supply, like if it's a wide open area from the downwind side. While that may be true in some instances, I think the majority of them do not. What if they are on the upwind side of a food source and come time to eat... do they walk completely around this open food source to enter it? I don't think so and believe they'll just work it from the side they are already on.

iSnipe
Old 12-31-2009, 04:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

One thing about mature buck, they will NEVER follow an " always, never, all the time " philosphy!
Old 12-31-2009, 05:44 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by crokit
One thing about mature buck, they will NEVER follow an " always, never, all the time " philosphy!

Beat me to it.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Since most of the time our wind direction here in New England is from the N/NW, if the deer always traveled into the wind, they all would end up in Canada. My point is, deer can travel in any direction. That being said, the deer rely on their keen sense of smell more than anything else. Sensing danger is always key.

Hunting upwind of deer is never encouraged or recommended.

Last edited by Jimmy S; 12-31-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by daleintampa
Do Deer always travel into or with the wind ? I guess my question is, If Im in a stand. Wich way should I expect to see Deer coming from ? Or does it matter ?
http://www.fieldandstream.com/node/57539