HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer and Wind Direction ???
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 04:42 PM
iSnipe
Nontypical Buck

No. I've seen deer work the direction they want to head. I don't believe "smart" bucks work a scrape from "downwind" either. I think they work the scrape from the direction they are coming from.

I do believe mature bucks utilize the wind a lot to stay alive. I believe they use it when picking a bedding spot and believe they work to their bedding spot from downwind as well. If a deer only worked upwind in their ventures, they would never get where they want and end up in the next county. LOL!

One thing is certain... most bucks will work you from the downwind side when you are calling or rattling to them. Doubt me? Try it. LOL! You'll get busted enough to know they're smart using the wind when it's to their advantage.

I heard a theory that bucks work to their food supply, like if it's a wide open area from the downwind side. While that may be true in some instances, I think the majority of them do not. What if they are on the upwind side of a food source and come time to eat... do they walk completely around this open food source to enter it? I don't think so and believe they'll just work it from the side they are already on.

iSnipe