Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Calling Deer - need help

Old 01-11-2010, 04:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Learn the various grunts, I've called in more deer with grunts than any other vocalization.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:32 AM
Typical Buck

this (imo) is a very good ?. i'm trying to learn calls too and haven't really had any sucess. it would be nice to hear more responses/answers please.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:12 PM
Fork Horn

warbird I think I saw the same show.. was he on an indian ranch in canada? I couldnt figure out why he was doing that either, it made no sense to me

IIpaintball
Yup, that's the show. That buck came in because of the does and it had nothign to do with his laying out a mock scrap, hanging deer scent, rattling and grunting IMHO. If it was all his calling etc the buck would have come toward him for a fight. He's just lucky he didn't scare it off. And when he was scrapping the tree with his horns it looked like he got his gun with the horns 'cause he looked down at it when he did it.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Spike

Rattling along with some grunting is king of all calling in my book. As far as advice though i would just say go out there bang some horns together and you will figure out what works best for you. I have rattled up multiple bucks for myself and other people. I can tell you there is nothing better than a buck (any size) charging into your lap looking for a fight. The main thing is just make sure if you are on the ground you have your gun set up to shoot quick. Cheers
Old 01-13-2010, 08:00 AM
Fork Horn

Everyone I've talked to has said this exact thing. If they're there get ready fast. In my own bumbling, fumbling way I rattled in a doe the last day of the season and she came in right NOW!! It was only a doe but just the fact I was able to rattle in a "deer" made my whole season. This is why I want to learn how to do it right. So come on you experts!! Help us "rattling challenged" hunters out with some more tips.

And thanks to those who already commented.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:52 AM
Typical Buck

First off you need to be in an area with with a buck to doe ratio where bucks are really competing for the rights to a territory or doe for rattling to be really effective. Rattling can work great in one piece of woods and others where there are high numbers of does to every buck it probably wont work at all. A buck is not likely to come to the horns when hes already hangin with 6-7 ladies. On the other hand if theres 6-7 bucks around and only 2-3 does in that area, hold on to your hat or better yet your bow/gun because it wont take much to get them to come in. As far as actual rattling technique-i can say this, there is no real right or wrong. If you have heard bucks fight you know what i mean. They crash,break branches, grunt, snort, etc. Plain and simple-this is what you need to make it sound like. Other bucks that may be present watching and eager to enter a fight may be rubbing and scraping or grunting. When i get real aggressive rattling i make serious noise and not just smacking my antlers together. I smash the ground,trees,break branches,grunt and every other thing i can to make it real. Throw a decoy into the mix and then when the buck responds hes got a visual to go along with what he heard. Put that together and chances are hes coming in and probably real quick. But theres times (early and late season) where you only want to tinkle the tines together and go real soft like two bucks are just sparring. You go real aggressive here and anything that can hear you is goin to be spooked and run off. Rattling and calling is all timing. You have to be able to adapt and read a deers body language to know whats the right/wrong call at that time. Sometimes its best to just shut up and sit still.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Fork Horn

Our area has a nice balance of bucks to does (now). And we hear rattling during the one week gun season which is at the end of the rut which is why I think the rattling will work. When bucks get old in this state they usually go pretty nocturnal and you don't get chances at them during the day. That's why I'm looking for an "edge".