HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Calling Deer - need help
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 08:52 AM
rh160kid
Typical Buck

First off you need to be in an area with with a buck to doe ratio where bucks are really competing for the rights to a territory or doe for rattling to be really effective. Rattling can work great in one piece of woods and others where there are high numbers of does to every buck it probably wont work at all. A buck is not likely to come to the horns when hes already hangin with 6-7 ladies. On the other hand if theres 6-7 bucks around and only 2-3 does in that area, hold on to your hat or better yet your bow/gun because it wont take much to get them to come in. As far as actual rattling technique-i can say this, there is no real right or wrong. If you have heard bucks fight you know what i mean. They crash,break branches, grunt, snort, etc. Plain and simple-this is what you need to make it sound like. Other bucks that may be present watching and eager to enter a fight may be rubbing and scraping or grunting. When i get real aggressive rattling i make serious noise and not just smacking my antlers together. I smash the ground,trees,break branches,grunt and every other thing i can to make it real. Throw a decoy into the mix and then when the buck responds hes got a visual to go along with what he heard. Put that together and chances are hes coming in and probably real quick. But theres times (early and late season) where you only want to tinkle the tines together and go real soft like two bucks are just sparring. You go real aggressive here and anything that can hear you is goin to be spooked and run off. Rattling and calling is all timing. You have to be able to adapt and read a deers body language to know whats the right/wrong call at that time. Sometimes its best to just shut up and sit still.