Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scoring question

Old 12-28-2009, 11:12 PM
Spike

Abnormalities are subtracted from the gross (total) score to provide the resultant net (final) score. These deductions are penalizing how asymmetrical the antlers are.

Eligibility is based on net score.

deer antler scoring

Understanding scoring terminology is necessary to ensure you put the correct score in the correct location on the score sheet.

The correct term for a brow tine is G1, the next typical point coming off the top of the main beam is the G2, the next is G3, and so on.

The letter H is used to refer to circumference of a buck’s antler. H1, H2, H3, and H4 refer to the locations on an antler where measurements are taken.

The H measurements are always the smallest circumference, so an H2 measurement is the smallest circumference between G1 and G2.

Regardless of the number of points, only 4 H (circumference) measurements are taken on any buck.

Any point coming off a point or growing from an abnormal location on the main beam is a non-typical point.

For a rack to be scored as typical, these abnormal points must be subtracted from the score, and added for a non-typical.

The measurements that are used are the:

* Tine lengths G1 through G7
* Tip to tip spread
* Greatest spread
* Inside spread of main beams
* Various circumference measurements H1 through H4 on the main beam
Old 12-29-2009, 03:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by extreme01
When it comes to trophy deer hunting, size matters!

Antler scoring offers a consistent way to compare racks for hunters who are competitive.

And, is the single most reason IMHO,leading to large antlered deer being poached. One way to mitigate most of this issue is to assign a number to the deer listed in the record books, rather than the hunter's name. Issue a certificate to that hunter with that number. That way, both deer and person are still being recognized.

Last edited by crokit; 12-29-2009 at 03:24 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old 12-29-2009, 03:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by extreme01

The measurements that are used are the:

* Tine lengths G1 through G7
* Tip to tip spread
* Greatest spread
* Inside spread of main beams
* Various circumference measurements H1 through H4 on the main beam

neither tip to tip spread or greatest spread are used for score.

This would, however, explain the scores I've seen listed ( not just here but elsewhere ) that are WAY out of whack

Last edited by crokit; 12-29-2009 at 03:40 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by crokit
neither tip to tip spread or greatest spread are used for score.

This would, however, explain the scores I've seen listed ( not just here but elsewhere ) that are WAY out of whack
from what i can gather from the website, tip2 tip and greatest spread are used but only for deductions.

I dont really care about the actual scoring for the books cause none of my bucks could make it in anyway I was curious how close Ive come so far. next year my goal will be to take and archery buck that scores 120+ which will make the NY BIG BUCK BOOK. although my 03'archery bear only fell short by 4/8".
Old 12-30-2009, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
from what i can gather from the website, tip2 tip and greatest spread are used but only for deductions.

I dont really care about the actual scoring for the books cause none of my bucks could make it in anyway I was curious how close Ive come so far. next year my goal will be to take and archery buck that scores 120+ which will make the NY BIG BUCK BOOK. although my 03'archery bear only fell short by 4/8".

They don't count at all, neither additions or deductions.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG

Tip to tip and greatest spread are taken just for refrence measurments. They neither add or subtract from any score.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by crokit
They don't count at all, neither additions or deductions.
oh, ma bad