Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Why didn't I fire on those SNEAKY deer?? >

Why didn't I fire on those SNEAKY deer??

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Why didn't I fire on those SNEAKY deer??

Old 12-27-2009, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Why didn't I fire on those SNEAKY deer??

I have to give it to 'em, even does can be downright smart. I was set up in an area of somewhat open hardwoods surrounded by thickets, pines, etc. There was still a little snow on the ground, covering a lot of the open area, but there was plenty of ground exposed at this point too. I don't know how they got from wherever they were coming from to where I saw them, but I suddenly picked up movement on my right side along a strip of pines where the snow had melted. FIVE does. I was up in a (borrowed) tree stand for only the second time ever, and I just felt I could not pick out a solid shot on any of them, because they were blending in so well with the dark brown ground. But I vividly recall seeing the front sight on the three front shoulders but I didn't fire because, even though my sight was there, I felt uncomfortable with the shots because of how well they sunk into the background. I feel like the deer KNOW they stick out against the white snow, and that's why they were slinking through on melted areas only. Man, I can't tell you how sneakily they were moving. It was awesome!!

Now, I have been out 6 times in a row without seeing a SiNGLE deer, and I had a golden opportunity like that to down 1-3 does, and I didn't take it. I know that I am a good shot and I should have had confidence in my abilities in the moment. Lesson learned!!

As a side note, I feel like being up in the stand had something to do with it. Because of the angle, the GROUND was a backdrop for the deer, instead of the woods/skyline, which is what I am used to. I didn't like that. I feel like I would definitely have taken the shots had I been on the ground. Now, the ground was darker than it normally is because of all the snow and rain we've had, so had the leaves been their normal color, the deer would have shown up better against them.

Only one week left of deer season!!!

Last edited by 7.62NATO; 12-27-2009 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

I say good on ya for not taking a shot you were not comfortable with.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:06 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
I have to give it to 'em, even does can be downright smart. I was set up in an area of somewhat open hardwoods surrounded by thickets, pines, etc. There was still a little snow on the ground, covering a lot of the open area, but there was plenty of ground exposed at this point too. I don't know how they got from wherever they were coming from to where I saw them, but I suddenly picked up movement on my right side along a strip of pines where the snow had melted. FIVE does. I was up in a (borrowed) tree stand for only the second time ever, and I just felt I could not pick out a solid shot on any of them, because they were blending in so well with the dark brown ground. But I vividly recall seeing the front sight on the three front shoulders but I didn't fire because, even though my sight was there, I felt uncomfortable with the shots because of how well they sunk into the background. I feel like the deer KNOW they stick out against the white snow, and that's why they were slinking through on melted areas only. Man, I can't tell you how sneakily they were moving. It was awesome!!

Now, I have been out 6 times in a row without seeing a SiNGLE deer, and I had a golden opportunity like that to down 1-3 does, and I didn't take it. I know that I am a good shot and I should have had confidence in my abilities in the moment. Lesson learned!!

As a side note, I feel like being up in the stand had something to do with it. Because of the angle, the GROUND was a backdrop for the deer, instead of the woods/skyline, which is what I am used to. I didn't like that. I feel like I would definitely have taken the shots had I been on the ground. Now, the ground was darker than it normally is because of all the snow and rain we've had, so had the leaves been their normal color, the deer would have shown up better against them.

Only one week left of deer season!!!
Where do you think Bucks get their education from? They don't spend a minute with their father. All learned tricks are often formed in the first 18 months of their life from Momma. After that genetics kicks in and each experience teaches them something.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

We had this old doe that no matter what we did or how scent free or how sneaky we were we couldn't get a drop on her, we called her PhD Doe. Lots of times I think a doe can be smarter than a buck....or atleast on the same playing field. Good job for not shooting if you weren't comfortable...mark of a good hunter.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good point, Remnard.

I hear y'all on not taking the shot, but I know that they would have been good, clean shots. I guess it depends on the way you look at it. In retrospect I regret it. I think it comes down to making good decisions in the heat of the moment, and I made a bad one. I think that was a lost opportunity to build confidence in my abilities, and of course, a lost opportunity at having some meat that we really could use. I hadn't been in that situation before at that angle, and that is why I felt uncomfortable. But when the sight is on the front shoulder, it's on the front shoulder. I think the lesson learned is that some opportunities only present themselves for split seconds, and I need to be mentally prepared to make the right decision in those moments. I was overthinking the situation, and it cost me.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

Saftey in numbers! The deer won that round. Now get back out there and slam'em. O' and I guess you did'nt see that monster buck that was holding behind those does? But you moved and he saw you! Good Luck!
Old 12-27-2009, 02:36 PM
Typical Buck

Dose wascally whitetails!
Good job on the ethics calle, NATO. If you don't feel comfortable, then don't take the shot. Don't want to wound it and have it suffer. 1 shot kill. Best of luck with the rest of season.......
BigBuck95
Old 12-27-2009, 02:59 PM
Spike

MN,

I hear ya on them smart does.
There was a huge doe with the girth/shoulders like a buck where we hunt in So. Illinois for years now. Most of the time she seems to have triplets with her in the Fall.
Believe me--she knows when "the games on" and is very elusive.
Would defintely be a trophy for me.

-Ranger-
Old 12-27-2009, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Buck Dave
Saftey in numbers! The deer won that round. Now get back out there and slam'em. O' and I guess you did'nt see that monster buck that was holding behind those does? But you moved and he saw you! Good Luck!
Well, at this point in the season, I'm meat hunting, not trophy hunting. I know that bucks do this, though. But just because you see several does traveling together doesn't necessarily mean there's a big buck trailing them. I'd say there's always the possibility, but for me, at this point, holding out for a big buck that might be there is out of the question, especially if I have the chance to bag two or more does. Besides, where I was...so close to the main road and to one of the park entrances...doesn't make it a likely place for big bucks to hang. IMO.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

O' you hunting Park? Ya my friends tried that and then had to go to Alexandria for Federal Court! There is still one park here in Va. we can hunt through a lottery system.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.