HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why didn't I fire on those SNEAKY deer??
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 06:28 AM
7.62NATO
Nontypical Buck

Default Why didn't I fire on those SNEAKY deer??

I have to give it to 'em, even does can be downright smart. I was set up in an area of somewhat open hardwoods surrounded by thickets, pines, etc. There was still a little snow on the ground, covering a lot of the open area, but there was plenty of ground exposed at this point too. I don't know how they got from wherever they were coming from to where I saw them, but I suddenly picked up movement on my right side along a strip of pines where the snow had melted. FIVE does. I was up in a (borrowed) tree stand for only the second time ever, and I just felt I could not pick out a solid shot on any of them, because they were blending in so well with the dark brown ground. But I vividly recall seeing the front sight on the three front shoulders but I didn't fire because, even though my sight was there, I felt uncomfortable with the shots because of how well they sunk into the background. I feel like the deer KNOW they stick out against the white snow, and that's why they were slinking through on melted areas only. Man, I can't tell you how sneakily they were moving. It was awesome!!

Now, I have been out 6 times in a row without seeing a SiNGLE deer, and I had a golden opportunity like that to down 1-3 does, and I didn't take it. I know that I am a good shot and I should have had confidence in my abilities in the moment. Lesson learned!!

As a side note, I feel like being up in the stand had something to do with it. Because of the angle, the GROUND was a backdrop for the deer, instead of the woods/skyline, which is what I am used to. I didn't like that. I feel like I would definitely have taken the shots had I been on the ground. Now, the ground was darker than it normally is because of all the snow and rain we've had, so had the leaves been their normal color, the deer would have shown up better against them.

Only one week left of deer season!!!

Last edited by 7.62NATO; 12-27-2009 at 09:36 AM.