Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Track Help (Coyote Content)

Old 12-26-2009, 12:08 PM
Spike

Default Track Help (Coyote Content)

Okay - I took advantage of a not so often anymore snow and went to see exactly what kind of deer movement I have behind my granmothers home. She has about 16 acres of wooded land and no one has hunted back there......YET

I found great deer trails and have been walking them for a couple weeks. Very brushy and it needs cleared some for easier use.

Anyways - I think I have found a Coyote living pretty friggin close. Today following a 2" day of rain I saw many signs of running deer close to where I think I have found a den. Got this picture on my camera phone. Didnt think of measureing it but I'd say it was about 3" wide in the snow a couple days back and this mud print was a tad smaller.

Also check out how close the back print is to the front. Classic Coyote travel right???

Just for fun some good Deer rubs!!! THh first tree isnt a small one at all About 12" across

Old 12-26-2009, 12:45 PM
Typical Buck

thats not a coyote track. its too big. yotes have thinner feet than a regular house dog. about 1.5" would be a big yote in the NE. in NC they will tend to be smaller.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:48 PM
Spike

Thanks for the help!!! This sort of thing is new to me so I had to ask
Old 12-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Spike

Thanks for the help!!
Old 12-27-2009, 04:45 AM
Typical Buck

No Problem Brian. Here's a good website explaining tracks.

http://www.bear-tracker.com/coyote.html

Says on here they are typically 1.25 inches wide. A Labrador retriever sized dog/track will be almost twice that. Once you see them both together you'll never doubt which is which again!
Old 12-27-2009, 04:47 AM
Spike

I plan on getting a camera back there soon just to see what dog it is. Seems to be chasing the deer from the mess it made in the pine needeles