Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Bad luck to take your 1st deer ever on Christmas Eve? >

Bad luck to take your 1st deer ever on Christmas Eve?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bad luck to take your 1st deer ever on Christmas Eve?

Old 12-24-2009, 02:19 PM
Spike

Default Bad luck to take your 1st deer ever on Christmas Eve?

I thought I had this one about 45 min ago....sun was on its way down and getting dark quick and a small doe and a decent 6 were slowly creeping down the creekbed and just hopped up on the bank, er 90* from where my ladder stand was pointed, of course off to the right and I'm a righty...twisted myself the best I could to take the shot, boy that gun gets heavy after about 3 min trying to hold steady while he came around the oak....let the breath out and squeezed....he jumped, started looking around and then walked back where he came...I placed it right underneath him...I saw it kick up the snow when it hit....poor placement on my part...he was about 40ft below where I was and about 100 yards away(about 25yrds more than I thought)and the low light and snow just screwed up depth perception(thats my story and I'm sticking to it)

It's all good though, I'll be back out tomorrow and I'd rather be inside tonight with the wife and 9month old then explaining I was gutting Rudolph anyway...

Merry Christmas all!
Old 12-24-2009, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on whose point of view...

It's great for you, but not for the buck. LOL!

As for the miss, we know that's on you. Depth perception? LOL! That's a first for me. You had time to come up with something better than that!

Better luck next time!

iSnipe
Old 12-24-2009, 02:43 PM
Spike

ok..I pooched it...lol.....poor shooting position and not compensating for the angle, lack of experience, I could have taken a second shot, I chambered the 2nd round before he settled back down, but the snow def screwed up my concept of where he was, kinda kicking myself in the butt over in considering I have a VERY limited area to hunt in and had pretty much paced off everything earlier in the season, I just got the big eye....it is what it is...I still have a week left...
Old 12-24-2009, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

You got buck fever and couldn't keep it steady. It's all right to admit it, it happens to the best of us!

Mike
Old 12-24-2009, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

did ya go look fer blood?

i missed my fair share of shots....as long as ya back it up with an excellent search for blood or sign...hair..slurpee on the forest floor no-where near a 7-11..that kinda stuff?
Old 12-24-2009, 03:31 PM
Spike

yup, walked to the spot, stood in the tracks where he was when I took the shot, we still have a good foot on the ground from the 26" we got earlier this week....not a thing except the spot where it chipped a snag about 5ft behind him...didn't hit him for sure, the 06 would have left some trace, next time I'll let him circle around hopefully while there is still light, shooting way right with the gun on your right shoulder is NOT the easiest I have done thats for sure, my harness and and legs into the shooting bar wasn't letting me swing over any farther...
Old 12-24-2009, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bcrewcaptain
yup, walked to the spot, stood in the tracks where he was when I took the shot, we still have a good foot on the ground from the 26" we got earlier this week....not a thing except the spot where it chipped a snag about 5ft behind him...didn't hit him for sure, the 06 would have left some trace, next time I'll let him circle around hopefully while there is still light, shooting way right with the gun on your right shoulder is NOT the easiest I have done thats for sure, my harness and and legs into the shooting bar wasn't letting me swing over any farther...
Look at the bright side, a confirmed miss is far better than an iffy hit. If you'd have found a clump of fur and a couple drops of blood you'd always wonder if it lived, or how long it took for the deer to die.

Mike
Old 12-24-2009, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

Damn, I'm sure no one on here has ever missed before. /sarc

As long as it was a clean miss, it just gives you incentive to get back after it. You still walked away with the opportunity and the adrenaline rush. Sure, its a let down but he'll be back.

I know I've missed a few in my days, though I'm on a pretty good roll the last few years(the ones I actually hunted, heh). It happens.