Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Darn Blackbirds!  Do deer hate them as much as me? >

Darn Blackbirds! Do deer hate them as much as me?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Darn Blackbirds! Do deer hate them as much as me?

Old 12-21-2009, 07:08 AM
Spike

Default Darn Blackbirds! Do deer hate them as much as me?

I was wondering how deer respond around blackbirds. I was hunting this morning and finally got a glimpse at a 10 point but it was 350 yards out and I didn't chance the shot. I was hoping it would come in on the trail and eventually come out about 60 yards out where the trail comes out near my stand. it wasn't 5 minutes till about a million blackbirds landed in a 200 yards circle that consumed me. they were making so much noise I couldnt even think about hearing anything but them. Obviously I never saw the buck again but did see 3 more whitetails running from the general area near me. Do deer not like blackbirds? I thought they might not like being able to hear a threat over the birds. I so hate blackbirds right now, I really feel like they screwed up my entire hunt this morning!

http://servingwithpride.net/downloads/blackbirds.mov

Last edited by motorpig262; 12-21-2009 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are these birds migratory? I haven't heard of that many together in a group around here; only in the summer and then they go south. We have blackbirds; some with red or yellow on the arm band. Were they flocking heading more south or are they like that naturally?

I figure if they are like that naturally, the deer should be more use to it by now, but if they are migratory, the deer wouldn't be use to it and would get them uneasy.

Deer don't mind turkeys too much and they are a blackbird. LOL!

iSnipe
Old 12-21-2009, 07:55 AM
Spike

A buck may not like the noice after awhile and move away or not go in that direction.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Holy **** dude! I didn't see the video link until afterwards! Is all that sound the blackbirds? I saw a few flying around!!!

That's a lot of birds. One tree was peppered with them. LOL!

iSnipe
Old 12-21-2009, 08:00 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by iSnipe
Are these birds migratory? I haven't heard of that many together in a group around here; only in the summer and then they go south. We have blackbirds; some with red or yellow on the arm band. Were they flocking heading more south or are they like that naturally?

I figure if they are like that naturally, the deer should be more use to it by now, but if they are migratory, the deer wouldn't be use to it and would get them uneasy.

Deer don't mind turkeys too much and they are a blackbird. LOL!

iSnipe
Its a seasonal thing. I live in North Alabama and this time of year it is a common. but only for this time of year. You can hear the darn things coming from a mile away. This was by far the most I've ever seen though. They were swarming all around me and every time they made a quick turn it almost sounded like a big thud from all there wings catching the air at the same time. It almost sounded like a jets afterburners. I was pretty amazed as four different groups came together right in the area of my stand.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:05 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by iSnipe
Holy **** dude! I didn't see the video link until afterwards! Is all that sound the blackbirds? I saw a few flying around!!!

That's a lot of birds. One tree was peppered with them. LOL!

iSnipe
The video really don't do it justice since you cant see hardly any of them. I was mainly capturing the sound of them. But yes that was all them making the noise. When I finally got down and started toward my other stand It was amazing what they had did to the leaves. Every singe square foot I could see for the 200 yard walk to my other stand was disturbed. That was when I decided my hunt was over. They also spammed my game camera for about 30 pics.

Last edited by motorpig262; 12-21-2009 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

they will hang around long enough to eat all the food, then they will leave, as many as it sounded like, shouldnt take long. gl
Old 12-21-2009, 08:40 AM
Spike

Oh yes the black birds!..I think we have the same species of black bird here in north georgia as well. Ive seen more this year than I ever have while hunting or river property. Those things come through in packs of hundreds if not more. It sounds like the winds pickin up until you realize its them flyin through. Id love to take an automatic shotty to em thats for sure!
Old 12-21-2009, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

i hate those dam birds crows too and chipmunks one stoped me from shooting my first deer last year she was walking right for me and almost steped on a chipmunk and it took off and the deer jumped up and took off the other way never saw her after that