Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Butchering time!

Old 12-18-2009, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Butchering time!

This afternoon, we're going to do a deer I shot last Friday. Even though it's a lot of work byt the time you get all the triming and steaking done, this is a part of hunting I really enjoy.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:45 AM
Spike

I agree! I think I show off my freezer contents more than I show off deer pictures, antlers, etc.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:58 AM
Typical Buck

I lovvvvveeeeee butchering!!!
Old 12-18-2009, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

YUP X3! I think its the satisfaction in knowing you will be eating food, that got to your plate 100% by your own hand.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:14 AM
Spike

Speaking of which... I need to pull some out of the freezer to thaw. All of the men in my family (brothers, dad, father-in-law, brother-in-law) are getting venison chili for Christmas this year. I'm freezing it in lunch-sized containers that they can take with them and just pop in the microwave. If I have time, I might do some jerky, too. All of them are non-hunters and don't get all the fuss of hunting/cleaning/butchering/cooking deer meat. So this year, I'm just spreading the love of venison.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Smile

Originally Posted by troid
Speaking of which... I need to pull some out of the freezer to thaw. All of the men in my family (brothers, dad, father-in-law, brother-in-law) are getting venison chili for Christmas this year. I'm freezing it in lunch-sized containers that they can take with them and just pop in the microwave. If I have time, I might do some jerky, too. All of them are non-hunters and don't get all the fuss of hunting/cleaning/butchering/cooking deer meat. So this year, I'm just spreading the love of venison.
My whole life I can remember my top presents. One of course was a brand new snowmobile from my dad. Hard to beat that, but the next two are unique...

One was from a girlfriend that knitted a teddy bear in a picture frame. Must have taken her many hours. The next was a simple peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Chili-Venison would be an Awesome present! Good idea!

iSnipe
Old 12-18-2009, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Father Forkhorn,

Feel fortunate you like the butchering process. Years ago it was a part I despised, but had to do. Now I enjoy it too. I mean, I'd rather be hunting, but it's a necessary part of the process and enjoying the last part, butchering, makes the process complete for me.

Congrat's on your deer too. Must have missed your post on getting one. ?

Good luck,

iSnipe
Old 12-18-2009, 12:57 PM
Dominant Buck

I love hunting for them, killing them, butchering them and eating them.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do enjoy butchering my own deer for the most part. I've done 7 so far this year but I did 3 of them last sunday and I was relieved big time when I got done. That is a lot to do in one day though. The most work I've done at home on a day in a long time.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:27 PM
Dominant Buck

3 in one day....boy that would stress me out. My back would get tired doing that amount. Do one then get another and do it works for me. Nothing quite like that first pass with the knife through the back straps and feeling the tenderness. Getting ready to try out the ML buck on the grill in a few minutes. It felt tender when I butchered it. It should be good. We call them island deer and they are corn fed along with a lot of other farm crops. Mild winters for Vt give them the edge. Always lots of fat on their bodies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.