Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

newb late season questions

Old 12-17-2009, 06:15 PM
Spike

Default newb late season questions

My first season hunting, I just started about a week ago, having some problems. Here's the rub:

- hunting on about 40 acres of land in North Georgia that a friend owns. It's mostly pasture, with not too many food sources except grass. there's a handful of acorn trees, I see droppings there, but never deer within legal shooting hours, since I started hunting the land a week ago.
- I bought a 2 person deer stand with ladder. It's kind of a pain in the ass to move because it's rather heavy. I set it up in the middle of the pasture with visibility of most of the open area.
- The neighbors are also hunters and pretty much dickheads, if I venture even an inch into their property they freak out.
- I'm using all the scent management stuff, unscented shampoo and bodywash, scent cover for my clothes and boots, ghillie suit. Sprayed the tree stand down too. Used doe urine on little sponges that I threw all over the pasture. This morning and afternoon I was nicely downwind of the thicket but the deer never came out of it.

I've been sitting in the stand every morning and afternoon for a few days now. To my left ("A" on the picture) there is a thicket very close by which is probably a bedding area. All morning (7AM-10AM) and all afternoon (3:30PM-6PM) I hear what is probably deer moving around in there, breaking branches underfoot, getting really close. But they never come out from cover. There are deer trails all over the pasture where they cross but I haven't seen a SINGLE DEER in the pasture in the entire time I've been up in the stand. Never have I seen a single one come out of cover.

I am wondering if there are any late season strategies that will work. I thought about going towards the thicket on the ground, but the cover is really noisy and it's hard to sneak around - really dense. Plus, they'll probably smell me. I can't hang a stand on either tree line because the neighbors are hunting and being dickheads, and recovery on their property will most likely not be possible. Frankly I'm wondering if the deer will even come out at all during daylight hours in the season mainly because it's post rut and they're just bedding/feeding under cover, plus the neighbor is firing 4-5 shots per day (I don't know if he's hitting anything but the shots are definitely going off) and I can't imagine that's helping.

The deer walk around right in front of the house or in the driveway late at night 8PM+ including a huge buck, but I never see ANYTHING during shooting hours.

Any ideas? Am I screwed this year due to how late it is in the season? I'm not necessarily after a trophy buck, I just want to kill any kind of meat-yielding buck or doe for food purposes.

Last edited by sosumi; 12-17-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

Hrmm....I don't know the laws in Georgia but if you can, put down something for them to eat, some corn, maybe.

You can also try calling them, rattling horns, etc. I'm not sure what stage of the rut you're in there, either.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

Every time I hunt a property they are in the front yard. And I usually pull'em my way. I would hunt the very end. That's where they will be crossing, not the open field, maybe in the rut but not now. I like the corners, but that end looks good and so do those pines. Good luck.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:34 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Big Buck Dave
Every time I hunt a property they are in the front yard. And I usually pull'em my way. I would hunt the very end. That's where they will be crossing, not the open field, maybe in the rut but not now. I like the corners, but that end looks good and so do those pines. Good luck.
the south end or the north end by the house/driveway? can't really hunt the north end too well because of cars/people
Old 12-17-2009, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

The South end! That is their travel route, right on the corner, in the woods a little. The only time they will be out in a field around this time is haul'n butt giving you the tail!
Old 12-17-2009, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

I'ld hunt the north end too. There is plenty of room. You will not get a shot unless your in a stand, usually I hunt at around thirty feet!
Old 12-17-2009, 07:54 PM
Spike

thanks for the tip, i'll try moving the stand tomorrow!
Old 12-17-2009, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

I would go buy a climbing stand and a good full body saftey harness. I bet there are some big deer in there. You have to go in and get'em!
Good luck!
Old 12-17-2009, 08:04 PM
Spike

I had bought one of these things was a great price, not sure if it's necessarily the best stand in terms of concealment but pretty easy to climb into it quietly in the morning. I guess with a big stand like that I'll need to let them adjust to it for a few hours or maybe a day or two, I did hose it down with scent neutralizer before I left the install site. I'm just concerned about how much noise I'm going to make setting it up....

can't really get another stand this year, investment is getting pretty hefty between the weapon, ammo, camo, all the scents, the stand, etc etc just to kill a deer for eating trying to cap the spending at $2000 at least for now.

also i thought climbing stand runs into a problem if the tree has any branches down low? no pines in south field, just oaks and stuff

Last edited by sosumi; 12-17-2009 at 08:08 PM.