Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Christmas Spirit

Old 12-17-2009, 10:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default Christmas Spirit

I received this yesterday from a friend in Ohio. My card is ready to go into the mail on Monday. If you have an extra card lying around the house, can afford the money for a stamp and will take a minute or two to jot a quick note, this is an opportunity to do something that will make a little boy feel better, while allowing you to exercise a thing called the Christmas Spirit. Merry Christmas to you all.

Hi All - Nathan Elfrink, who lives near a friend in Ohio, will celebrate his last Christmas on earth this year. He is 7 and dying of brain cancer. When asked, he said he would like Christmas cards from people from all over the world. He received 40 yesterday. Please take the time to send this special boy a Christmas card.

Nate Elfrink
2415 Taylor Blair Rd
West Jefferson, OH 43162

And pass the word on to people you think might send a card outside our circle of friends. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just read his parents are requesting no more cards be sent.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

UPDATE (posted Dec. 15, 2009)
Family overwhelmed by cards; They ask that donations be made to hospitals instead

West Jefferson residents Dode McVey and Tod Elfrink appreciate the thousands of Christmas cards people have sent to their son, Nate Elfrink, but the amount has become too much for the family to keep up with.

Nate, 7, has battled a brain tumor since he was 20 months old. Earlier this month, doctors told the family that treatments could shrink the tumor but not fast enough.

Upon receiving the news, Dode posted an update for family and friends on a Web page dedicated to Nate’s condition. In it, she explained that hospice care had been called and that the family wanted to make the most of their time together. She also said Nate likes to receive Christmas cards and provided the family’s address.

Well-meaning folks who received the update spread the word via e-mail, Facebook and Twitter, where it took on a life of its own. Somewhere along the way, people got the idea that Nate wanted a million Christmas cards.

“My wish for him was to get some cards,” Dode said. She said it was not Nate’s wish to get a million.

“Everybody means well, and we do appreciate their prayers and concerns,” Dode said. “We’re just overwhelmed.”

The family asks that instead of sending cards, people consider making donations in Nate’s name that could help other children. They suggest supporting St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital or the hospice program at Nationwide Children’s Hospital, both of which have provided Nate with care.

For information about donating to St. Jude, go to www.stjude.org or call 1-800-822-6344.

There are three ways to donate to the Nationwide Children’s Hospital Foundation: by mail at 700 Children’s Dr., Columbus, OH 43205; online at www.nationwidechildrens.org/giving; or by phone at (614) 355-0888.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

its been a long time since ive teared up, like I just did reading that. wow, that really puts things in perspective I just dont understand life sometimes.

edit: I wrote out a card before the update was posted but Im going to keep it and hang it on my wall in my office, so when i get stressed about some trivial thing, I will see this and think about this little angel and see how blessed I am.

Last edited by DeerandbearhoG; 12-17-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/medical/elfrink.asp
Old 12-17-2009, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
its been a long time since ive teared up, like I just did reading that. wow, that really puts things in perspective I just dont understand life sometimes.

edit: I wrote out a card before the update was posted but Im going to keep it and hang it on my wall in my office, so when i get stressed about some trivial thing, I will see this and think about this little angel and see how blessed I am.
great idea!
Old 12-18-2009, 12:02 AM
Spike

Default Great Post

That was a great post Deerandbearhog. It came from the heart.