Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
My Phobia of hunting thick stuff. >

My Phobia of hunting thick stuff.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My Phobia of hunting thick stuff.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:15 PM
Spike

Default My Phobia of hunting thick stuff.

Whats the thickest stuff you ever hunted( brush...tress..etc)

I hate hunting when i cant see the deer coming in from a good distance off

My buddy says i need to get over it if I wanna find some big deer.

My buddy up here in VA is putting me in a stand tommorow for one of my last 2 days to hunt. i checked it out a few days ago and man its thick. ill be upm about 20 feet overlooking 2 seperate pine scrub thickets. You cant even see in them form above. the tree trunks ar like 3 inches apart ..lol..theres a small trail running through them. My longest shot would maby be 15 yards.. ill be up in a a maple ..one of the only few in the the thicket.

i was barley able to get to the tree .lol...but his deer cam on the trail has show several NICE deer..2 8-ts and one 10...man..i just hate hunitng where i Cant see far..

Anyone lese have a phobia of not liking it when u cant see deer a long way off??I guess its something in need to get over huh?
Old 12-16-2009, 07:19 PM
Fork Horn

Well if he's putting you in a stand than he has patterned them. I always do the opposite of what I am told to do. Because that is just me. Use a little doe scent to turn'em your way.....

O'ya don't forget your safety harness.................

Last edited by Big Buck Dave; 12-16-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

This year for elk....the willows along the river....talk about a pain in the butt! you'd kick up a bull at 10yds and barely get a look at him. he'd go crashing through all that stuff, pretty exciting.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure "phobia" is your best choice of word, but more something along the lines of "uncomfortable" or "non-optimistic".

When I started to learn more about buck hunting with a bow, my strategy changed and the thick stuff you are talking about is the stuff I was often in. You have to be quiet and keep your ears focused because you can hear them coming if the situation is right.

If you're not constantly prepared, you can miss a shot that develops in only seconds.

I understand what you mean, because lately I've switched back to rifle more than a bow and now I seek out places where I can reach out and touch 'em.

I will fess up though.... it does get boring at times when you don't have as much area to keep your eyes busy. It does help to know or actually see that there are big bucks there. That will help you remain focused and be more patient.

Good luck to you out there. You'll get bored as ****. LOL! Just kidding. Hang in there and see what happens.

iSnipe
Old 12-17-2009, 12:20 AM
Spike

Thanks Snipe..yeah Im not Scared of it..lol..so Uncomfortable is a better word..lol.

u hit the nail on the head. Boredom seems to set in quickly. Ill try to keep focused this morning.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am the opposite ,I dont like hunting wide open areas . I generally see more deer in thick cover.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

LOL!

iSnipe
Old 12-17-2009, 02:53 AM
Typical Buck

You want to see more Deer? or see one Deer your hunting for? Good Luck
Old 12-17-2009, 04:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

The THICK stuff is where they'll be once the pressure is on. This is the "edge" of a thicket I hunt. I don't go IN the thicket as it's their safe sanctuary, I wait until they come out of it in the evenings. At this point after already filling my buck tag, I'm just after another doe for the freezer.
Attached Thumbnails My Phobia of hunting thick stuff.-ridley-010.jpg   My Phobia of hunting thick stuff.-ridley.jpg  
Old 12-17-2009, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I rarely hunt where you can see very far and I rarely hunt fields. Most of the deer around here will not enter a field until well after dark. I find the most sign in thick areas and setup, 10 to 30 yard shots are common for me. Good Luck and be confident.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.