Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
My Phobia of hunting thick stuff. >

My Phobia of hunting thick stuff.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My Phobia of hunting thick stuff.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:20 AM
Typical Buck

I feel better if I can see farther, but I want to be where the deer are. Bring your shotgun and some 00 buck!
Old 12-17-2009, 06:07 AM
Fork Horn

Pros and Cons for me. Our ranch is very dense (except where Earl and his bulldozer have been) cedar, scrub, oaks, mountain laurel, persimmon...but all tighly packed. It gives the illusion that there simply aren't many deer out there but the trails and tracks and sign call BS on that noise. In any case, given the chance, the people in my family have always hunted our big lease near Hondo because its a little more open. You can drive around and see deer running from place to place.

When actually in a stand, I like to have alot to look at. I like to be able to see a ways and pick them up coming in, have the option to take a longer shot if its worth it and I'm confident but I'm coming around to the notion of just having a shooting lane. This season has driven that point home as my stand is a little exposed and its made the deer nocturnal feeders at my bait. Given dense brush all around, they'll stick to it. I think deer that aren't as used to it are less uncomfortable without it.

One way to combat the feeling of 'missing out' on something is to make liberal use of trail cameras and do some serious scouting. Its a sick feeling to know that the bog one is standing there in the brush just out of sight but if that whole area was clear, good chance he wouldn't even be there.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:19 AM
Typical Buck

just be ready for a close encounter, of the furry kind

keep focused, try not to let boredom set in...sounds like you will need to act quickly, but don't rush the shot...good luck!
Old 12-17-2009, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt exclusively in New England (NH and Maine) and I hunt the thickest, nastiest places in my woods. That's usually cedar swamps or thick alders. As previously mentioned, I also love to hunt the edges of these places as well. Most of my setups only offer me shots that are usually 25-30 yds at best. One of my favorite stands allows me shots at only 30 yds and it's less than 50 yds wide. I will usually hear the deer before actually seeing them but that is not always the case. Many times, a deer will suddenly appear, almost out of nowhere. Having a deer step into my lanes at only 10-20 yds away is truly up close and personal.

I know the deer use these areas because it offers feed, security and protection from nasty weather. My scouting over the years has reinforced this. Of all the deer I have shot over the years, my longest shot was about 65-70 yds away. All others have been much closer.

So to answer the question, I have always hunted thick stuff. Scouting plays a big part in my strategy as well as always hunting the wind.

Good Luck!
Old 12-17-2009, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

I think it's a human tendency to want open areas to veiw. A hunter placed at the edge of woods/field will nearly always spend more time looking at the field, even though (generally) he would see more deer in the woods.

Obviously, the further away you can see them coming, the better your chances are of success since you can get most of your moves in while they're still too far away to realize you're in the same state.

As already pointed out, shots in the thick stuff can come and go very quickly, so you definitely have to be more alert which, incidentally, means more mental fatigue. It's all part of the price you pay for a crack at those big dudes that hang out there.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt in overgrown clear cuts and mountain laurel thickets. You can barely walk through the cover.

The deer love it in there and hate it in the more open areas.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:56 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt around some thick stuff but not exactly in it the way you are saying. I would be afraid of getting busted getting in something that thick. I like to be able to see around me so I'm not surprised, caught off guard.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

When I lived in Missouri I used to hunt a buddies land. He had all of his stands setup to overlook the fields, then had shooting lanes cut into the woods.

I had setup 2 stands in thick stuff where I knew deer were moving through. Average shot was probably 20 yards all the way around.

He has been skunked on his own land ... I have not. Of course this doesn't hold true everywhere. You just have to hunt where you know the deer will be.