Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Take a kid hunting! I did!

Old 12-14-2009, 02:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

You are doing God's work............. love & brotherhood.

Merry Christmas for you and your Family !
Old 12-14-2009, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats onthe hunt and thanks to YOU for doing your part in sharing and passing along this tradition that we all love.

I myself helped both my sons collect their first Bucks this season, they are 9 and 10, and honestly they were the most rewarding hunts I've ever made. I've been fortunate enough to help several others collect their first whitetails and turkey and it's something I look forwad to many more times in the future.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by OklaBowhunter
Now I know two friends who took five years olds out this year and both got a deer. One was a guys granddaughter. I think it cool. I took a eight year old last year and he missed. He wasnt prepared to shoot a gun yet.
DB
This was my daughter's first season so she was an observer. This evening we discussed next season and I'm going to get her a .243 to shoot, rig it up with some solid optics and make sure she is rock solid ready to go. Really looking forward to it but I need to man up and shoot something so I can give her the field dressing lesson.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats to the boy & you for taking him
Old 12-15-2009, 10:42 AM
Typical Buck

congrats and I applaud you for what you are doing. I have been thinking of what to do in a couple years when my son is old enough to be on his own, more less. I would love to sit with a kid who has never chance to hunt.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

The past 2 years I have taken on the same adventure. I have 2 daughters (7 and 5) and they love going along. They do not carry guns, just bino's and they observe. I have 2 ameristep doghouse blinds, and it allows them to take along a handheld video game etc to pass the time. I have always been a believer that its better for them to go and play video games etc if they get bored, then sit for 2-3 hours and beg to go home. We play games of count the squirrels, and I make them tell me which way the wind is blowing. I also am teaching them cardinal directions (which i cant believe they havent learned by 2nd grade) if you work in simple hunting skills and make it fun, they love it. EX: "Daughter #1: If the corn pile is 75 yards away, how far do you think that deer is standing? Well he looks twice as far so 150 daddy??" My kids have NEVER asked to go home once.
Attached Thumbnails Take a kid hunting!   I did!-1022091609.jpg  
Old 12-16-2009, 05:37 AM
Fork Horn

I have interesting discussions with my 8 year old. She is exceptionally bright (biased!). I explained to her about the rut, why rattling works sometimes, deer behavior, etc and it boiled down to bucks and their doe 'girlfriends'. You see, a buck chases a doe because...well...

"I know dad, they're mating"

So I picked my jaw up off the floor then and said "yeah...."

I can think of worse things than my kid learning the birds and the bees from National Geographic and Discovery.

Sometimes on Saturday mornings we go home and turn on all the deer hunting shows on TV. I went on at length explaining that tv shows are alot different than real life, they edit out the sitting there waiting and they hunt on ranches with alot bigger deer, usually. "I know dad, I just like to sit with you and look at deer."
Old 12-16-2009, 06:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

That is great.. congrats to you both!
i took my 5 year old daughter out this year, but w/ no luck.
They just instituted a youth turkey hunt here in MA last season. I took a 14 year old for his first turkey hunt and he took a nice tom. What a great feeling... will be volunteering for youth hunts every year now..
Old 12-17-2009, 05:12 PM
Spike

My 3yr old wants to go so bad. She has helped me clean 3 deer this year so I took her out in the woods and sat for about 45 min. It was so much fun, we saw a doe and I was able to get a shot. But I missed. It was just a bad miss. She said Dad thats ok we'll get her next time. Taking kids out and hunting is always fun. Good for you taking kids out and showing them what it's all about.