Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Buckshot effectiveness

Old 12-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

40 yards is the best distance,running or walking,it works.I do like those tri shots,I'll have to check that out.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by iSnipe
that_guy,

Thanks for the reply. I thought it was something along those lines. Good luck to you!

iSnipe

==========================

==========================

One would have to be a total boob not to be able to hit a running deer with 00 buckshot. First of all, most these guys using it, already know to keep the shots close. Second, hopefully the deer is going to be hit with multiple pellets to be a fatal shot.

I haven't taken a running shot in a very long time, but if the situation arises and if it's a deer I want and feel at the moment I can do it, I'll do it! Yes, take a running shot.

A human can get pretty adept at doing something if he's done it several times. Many guys take running shots quite often. I'm not one of them. I don't ever profess to be good at it; then again I don't say I'm bad at it either. Just saying. LOL! I'm comfortable letting a running deer go. Usually it's a great lesson to myself, because had I been paying attention more, most likely I could have seen him before he saw me; therefore, he shouldn't have been running anyway.

I do agree running shots should be passed, but that's my call for myself. If someone else wants to do it, then do it without hearing much from me. It's your call, not mine.

iSnipe
I totally agree, it there right to shoot at running deer, BUT to me the 00 buckshot is kinda of an excuse...ya I got 8-9 balls in each shell, and I got 3 shells, so thats 24-27 chances I have to hit a good area. Thats not a "good shooter" to me. Anyone can throw a volley of 00 buckshot and hit a deer at 50 yards or closer. Sorry, just how I feel. To each there own, its not like I am going to change anyones mind, or vice versa.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by solocamcan
Actually, no I havent been on a deer drive, never had to get that "desperate". And nice detective work by YOU, I wrote this in response to someone who wrote about hitting a running deer 3 out of 3 times with a highpowered rifle at a greater distance than 50 yards, (150-200 yards to quote him). So you can hit a deer anywhere with a slug and kill it? Is that based on your expert "detective" work?
You did not understand what I said. I said in MOST cases, if you make an errant shot, you will still recover the deer. The reason I posted that is because we were discussing shotgun slugs, buckshot, rifles, and hitting deer on the run. It was a discussion, then people decided to turn it into an argument. No reason to get upset, we are all adults with our own opinions. If you believe I am in the wrong, I am sorry I upset you.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nick_bleuer76
You did not understand what I said. I said in MOST cases, if you make an errant shot, you will still recover the deer. The reason I posted that is because we were discussing shotgun slugs, buckshot, rifles, and hitting deer on the run. It was a discussion, then people decided to turn it into an argument. No reason to get upset, we are all adults with our own opinions. If you believe I am in the wrong, I am sorry I upset you.
I am not upset at all. I just find it almost impossible to hit a deer thats running through the woods at 150-200 yards away 3 out of 3 shots with a rifle or slug or AK-47, mini gun etc etc.
And this comparing shooting running deer to rabbit, dove, duck etc etc is insane. I know shooting a running deer can be done, but many make it sound like its a easy shot if you "practice" enough. So you got to "practice" at shooting running deer, wounding far more than killing before you get "skilled" enough to kill them on a regular basis? You dont see the problem with those types of statements?

I just picture 'Bubba Redneck' sitting on a hill with a cooler full of PBR next to him, and chain smoking Winstons shooting at any deer he lays eyes on, hoping he hit it because even an errant shot will kill it.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was referring to shooting deer at 1 to 100 yards with buckshot vs. slug. Well, it is just like shooting rabbits, squirrels and/or wingshooting ( even if that sounds insane). Sometimes you just have to use your instincts, if you practice shooting, know your gun, know your limits, and practice. You can hit deer effectively. Hitting a moving target is not hard. In Iowa, we grow up shooting birds, I learned to acquire a moving target, aim, fire. I am not saying I am a sniper with a 12 ga, I shoot at running deer at max, 50 yards. Just like bird hunting. Also, us "Bubba Rednecks" prefer Busch Light...
Old 12-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nick_bleuer76
I was referring to shooting deer at 1 to 100 yards with buckshot vs. slug. Well, it is just like shooting rabbits, squirrels and/or wingshooting ( even if that sounds insane). Sometimes you just have to use your instincts, if you practice shooting, know your gun, know your limits, and practice. You can hit deer effectively. Hitting a moving target is not hard. In Iowa, we grow up shooting birds, I learned to acquire a moving target, aim, fire. I am not saying I am a sniper with a 12 ga, I shoot at running deer at max, 50 yards. Just like bird hunting. Also, us "Bubba Rednecks" prefer Busch Light...
Well Played. LOL
Old 12-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

No matter what you shoot, practice. If you can hit the target, have effective ammo, there should be no problem
Old 12-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Spike

hahaha. wow. thanks guys. lots of information in this thread. but to sum it all up, make sure the shot is ethical. and know the target and beyond. i wouldnt ever shoot at something without knowing whats behind it. ill keep all this in mind on my next drive
Old 12-10-2009, 06:24 AM
Spike

OK....I have read all the pages here and WOW..lots of opinions! Someone posted it perfectly and said..I wont Quote....Read what u want, dont read what you dont want, and take away from it what you feel is valuable and disregard what you feel is BS. So thats why we have the open forum area.....Sounds like "That Guy" was able to take away some good and was able to get some entertaining reading along the way.
I just wanted to make a note because i read alot of opinions. I also am from New Jersey, and here we CANNOT use a rifle to hunt. During the week of shotgun season, we have a few choices, sit and "ambush" the game( and by ambush, i am using the term as it is defined by sitting in a blind or a stand)[ Didn't want to get flamed here!, ]with a nice scope and well sighted in shotgun, waiting for the opertune shot, or as most here in NJ do, (since hunting smaller areas due to the sprawl of urbania), we drive many properties with the use of a slug or buckshot. So good luck to you "That Guy" and may your hunting days be enjoyable whether they be successfull or not!
Old 12-10-2009, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by solocamcan
Actually, no I havent been on a deer drive, never had to get that "desperate"
BTW, it is not out of desperation. It is just how my forefathers have done it, so we carry on the tradition out of respect. Usually on opening morning we kill 8 deer. Then do a drive, and kill maybe 4 more. Then sit again, kill probably 6 more. Dress our deer, and do it all again the next day. We end up with probably 25 deer. We don't need the deer, we aren't desperate. We do it because of the fun, and it is tradition. I would take beef over deer any day!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.