Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Recovered bullet - crazy ricochet? >

Recovered bullet - crazy ricochet?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Recovered bullet - crazy ricochet?

Old 12-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Further proves that their is no substance to the "bush beater" myth. No matter the size of the lead or diameter it can deflect when hitting something solid. 2 deflections is not real common as your suggestng, though certainly with in reason. Excellent CSI work, btw!!!
Old 12-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by skeeter 7MM
Further proves that their is no substance to the "bush beater" myth. No matter the size of the lead or diameter it can deflect when hitting something solid. 2 deflections is not real common as your suggestng, though certainly with in reason. Excellent CSI work, btw!!!
You know, about 15 years ago, one of the hunting mags had what you call a "scientific" study on the Brush Gun theory.

They tested many different rounds shooting through a criss-crossed pattern of dowel sticks. They concluded that the larger bullet's better ability to bust through deflection over lighter bullets, was so inconsequential, it hardly made a difference.

So from what I gathered then, the brush gun theory didn't hold water, so to say. You'll get "similar" amounts of deflection from a heavier bullet as a lighter one. Overall conclusion is that, yes, the heavier bullets did better, but not enough to warrant it's superiority.

While I only have a handful of real world conclusions to go by, and trying to use reasoning as a means to come to my own conclusions, I still find it hard to think I won't be better off using a 30-30 through brush than a .243.

iSnipe
Old 12-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by iSnipe
You know, about 15 years ago, one of the hunting mags had what you call a "scientific" study on the Brush Gun theory.

They tested many different rounds shooting through a criss-crossed pattern of dowel sticks. They concluded that the larger bullet's better ability to bust through deflection over lighter bullets, was so inconsequential, it hardly made a difference.

So from what I gathered then, the brush gun theory didn't hold water, so to say. You'll get "similar" amounts of deflection from a heavier bullet as a lighter one. Overall conclusion is that, yes, the heavier bullets did better, but not enough to warrant it's superiority.

While I only have a handful of real world conclusions to go by, and trying to use reasoning as a means to come to my own conclusions, I still find it hard to think I won't be better off using a 30-30 through brush than a .243.

iSnipe
Is your opinion based really on the bullet/caliber size or actually the rifle/setup best fit to the situation???

A bush gun to me is a small frame/quick handling, short range (slower velocity/big lead) and often unscoped. 30/30, etc fit this mold a lot better then a 243,etc. I carried a 4570 lever as a guide, iron sights and big lead. Wasn't to get through bush it was strictly to slow a bear in tight cover. Only needed once and it worked as I had intended...lol
Old 12-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is your opinion based really on the bullet/caliber size or actually the rifle/setup best fit to the situation???

A bush gun to me is a small frame/quick handling, short range (slower velocity/big lead) and often unscoped. 30/30, etc fit this mold a lot better then a 243,etc. I carried a 4570 lever as a guide, iron sights and big lead. Wasn't to get through bush it was strictly to slow a bear in tight cover. Only needed once and it worked as I had intended...lol
Good question, good question.

My reply was based on bullet weight and not so much about speed.

To me a brush gun is similar, like a 30-30, short handling, easy to maneuver, light weight, usually with lower power optics, like 4x40mm. My eyesight suffered for a while and I was better with a scope, but I shot plenty of open sights. So either one.

I was also considering a "brush" gun by getting an older Winchester .308 Model 100, which is a semi-automatic. Kinda reminds me of my first .22 Marlin semi. I believe it was the ol' Glenfield Model 60.

Oh, and not so much my opinion, rather than an observation of some study 15 years ago or so.

iSnipe
Old 12-04-2009, 04:42 AM
Typical Buck

The larger diameter of famed "brush busters" makes them more likely to hit brush and be deflected then their smaller caliber brethern. The only way to avoid deflection is to not hit anything.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Funny things can happen, the angle could have deceived you though....
Old 12-04-2009, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

bullets amaze me everytime i shoot and harvest deer, just like everyone is saying, they do strange things once inside.

i once shot a large doe from my treestand holding for her neck, at the shot, she dropped in her tracks. beautiful entrance, no exit...skinning her that evening, i find my mushroomed bullet lodged in her (to me at the time) far back leg. stranger yet, no damage to the guts, but under her backstraps the "fish" were destroyed.

magic? perhaps
Old 12-04-2009, 06:35 AM
Spike

Cool

I was out hunting last year and i shot a doe at 45 yard with a remington .270 and the bullet imbeded itself into the bone and i had a hell of a time getting it out of the bone.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

The opinion I referred to was the quote above. I wasn't asking about the study you mentioned but rather why you felt the 30/30 was better. Bullet or other???? It seems other!
Old 12-04-2009, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

The opinion I referred to was the quote above. I wasn't asking about the study you mentioned but rather why you felt the 30/30 was better. Bullet or other???? It seems other!
Because first impressions in this situation usually brings the idea that something heavier pushes through obstacles better than something light in referring to deflection.

iSnipe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.