Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Antler Growth questions??

Old 12-02-2009, 03:48 AM
Fork Horn

Lightbulb Antler Growth questions??

Hey, I live in NW Florida and just got permission to hunt this strip of Private land and the surrounding area is nothing but woods with 6 year old clear cut. Im pretty sure its a decent spot because there is some nice tracks in the area. I put my trail cam out and keep getting the same small bucks. A couple 4 points, Spikes. 1 6 point and 1 7 point. The racks are all pretty much basket racks with a inside spread of probally only 10-12 inches. They have never been fed corn or any supplements for rack development and all that just straight wildlife. I was wondering If I start putting out minerals and protien and all kinds of nutritional food, How much would bigger would there rack get within the next Hunting season? Is there no hope or is it all Genetics? Someonee Please Help me.

I haven't been Hunting to long. Only about 6 years, Im just trying to gain a better understanding and increase my knowledge.
Thanks, DaNNY
Old 12-02-2009, 04:20 AM
Fork Horn

Anyone have any opinions or facts to state
Old 12-02-2009, 04:28 AM
Dominant Buck

My bet is there are some larger more mature deer in the area...you just haven't seen them.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:30 AM
Fork Horn

I've put my camera in the thickest deepest nastiest part of the woods and got a few does, There is No rubs or scrapes around where I've scouted. Sooo wierd.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:04 AM
Typical Buck

Go ask all-knowing resident iSnipe. He has all the answers ranging from ethics, to shot placement, rule interpretation, religion and personal responsibility. Anything offered by any other members can be considered hearsay.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:15 AM
Spike

Genetics are a piece of the puzzle for sure but Age and nutrition are the most important factors in deer size. Pass the young ones and implement supplemental feeding. Try talking to neighbors that hunt in the area and set up a 3 year management plan. You need more than 1 season to see results.This should help but remember you are never going to have Midwest deer in FL. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:18 AM
Fork Horn

True, But I've seen Bucks come out of WMA's down here as big as the one you have on your default. Soo its hard to say. But thats vveryyy rare!
Old 12-02-2009, 05:24 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by dpj1030
True, But I've seen Bucks come out of WMA's down here as big as the one you have on your default. Soo its hard to say. But thats vveryyy rare!
WMA? The buck on my default weighed 300 lbs on the hoof. Didn't realize you got deer that size in FL.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:42 AM
Fork Horn

I seen a guy around here shoot a 230-240 # deer. They usually shoot one or 2 a year around here like that. My brother in law shot a 190 lbs. 8 point this year