Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Illinois 2nd Shotgun Season

Old 12-01-2009, 09:08 AM
Spike

Default Illinois 2nd Shotgun Season

First season was pretty slow in the area I hunt, Coles County. Lots of corn still up and warm temps. Does anyone think that with the cooler predicted temps and alot more corn cut that this one will be more productive. Either way going out for sure, better than being in the office even if I don't see much! Just wondering about your thoughts. Thanks!
Old 12-01-2009, 12:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

ya they finally got the corn out on our piece, after 1st gun season, so maybe 2nd will be noticebly better? awefully late this year
Old 12-01-2009, 01:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well the any corn taken down will definately eliminate the cover. But traditionally 2nd season doesn't have the harvest numbers the 1st season has.

The cooler temps should definately lead to increased activity and I do think it will be worthwhile. I am trying to get myself back down to the farm for atleast a one more day. We eyeballed a dandy and I wouldn't mind another opportunity at him.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:51 PM
Spike

i went last year 1st and 2nd gun.not nearly as crowded on public land the 2nd season.i still saw deer and wound up wounding a buck i did not recover.he bled very little and i think i just knicked him.if i go back,im going to wait until 2nd season to go.at least it wont be as crowded.good luck guys.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe many are predicting that our 2nd season will make up for the deer numbers we were down during our 1st season, I believe it was around 6,000 lower than last year.

A LOT of corn has been picked over the last 2 weeks and as you've mentioned the temps are going to be a LOT lower this weekend.

My prediction, one of the best 2nd seasons IL has seen in sometime.

My hopes are high and my T/C Encore is ready to go, best of luck to all of ya!
Old 12-01-2009, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

it will be much better this time around....one thing tho is that with the full moon hittin when will the peak times be? hopefully some bucks are still looking for the lonley doe who haven been taken yet also
Old 12-01-2009, 08:08 PM
Fork Horn

i believe that the second gun season will be a little cooler making for a little better still hunting, but only time will tell
Old 12-02-2009, 06:22 AM
Fork Horn

I think that this years second season may be just as crowded as the first. I know of a ton of people who didn't put deer on the ground who usually tag out the first season. Today on my way to school i seen quite a few people plling trailers with 4-wheelers and side by sides on them and im guessing they were hunters moving back in.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

There are never the numbers of hunters 2nd season as there were first season. Probobly because alot of guys take days off planning on a successful 1st season and many don't have any extra days off available.

I definately prefer the weather forecast of this upcoming second season to that BS we had 1st season.