Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

7.62x39 effect on deer

Old 12-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default 7.62x39 effect on deer

If I'm in the wrong section with this thread, I aplologize.

Alright everyone, I have a norinco sks. I absolutely love this rifle and I'd like to take a deer with it. I know the 7.62x39 is close to the 30-30 but I would like to know specifically what 7.62x39 does to a deer. So let me hear some stories and post some pics please. I'd really like to see entry/exit wounds. I'm curious about SP's and HP's My mind is pretty much made up not to use FMJ for hunting (at least with this gun). If you're worried about them being too graphic for the forums, please send 'em to my email [email protected]

Thanks guys!!
Old 12-01-2009, 11:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

What do you love about your Norinco? Never fired one, but bought one once just so I could trade it to a guy for something I wanted from him.

10-4 on the FMJ. Usually not a good choice for big game like deer for basic boiler room delivery.

iSnipe
Old 12-02-2009, 12:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

And the fact that using non-expanding bullets to hunt big game is probably illegal, you should avoid them for anything but plinking. My brother's father-in-law and his brother both use SKS's for deer hunting, both loaded with Wolf soft points. They kill deer ok if the gun is accurate enough to hit them well. Lets just saw that these guys are of the mindset that you just keep shooting until the deer stops moving, so it's not unusual for them to shoot one 2 or 3 times. With a well placed shot, though, the deer's going down.

Mike
Old 12-02-2009, 04:57 AM
Spike

Theres no such thing as too graphic!
Old 12-02-2009, 07:46 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by iSnipe
What do you love about your Norinco?

iSnipe
I love it for a few reasons
It was my first Rifle and I've got a bunch of accesories for it so I can change the configuration around. It won't jam, fail to feed, eject anything! Simple & Tough. Parts are readily available. Ammo is pretty cheap. Plus it's consistantly on gun ban lists.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by iSnipe
What do you love about your Norinco? Never fired one, but bought one once just so I could trade it to a guy for something I wanted from him.

10-4 on the FMJ. Usually not a good choice for big game like deer for basic boiler room delivery.

iSnipe
My thoughts also!..........especially if they are Chinese with a pressed on barrel........
Old 12-02-2009, 08:29 AM
Banned

Why the heck would you care about entry and exit wounds, are you sick? Why not just use a hunting rifle instead of a defensive rifle? I love my 1911 and M1 carbine but wouldn't to hunt deer with them.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by vabyrd
Why the heck would you care about entry and exit wounds, are you sick? Why not just use a hunting rifle instead of a defensive rifle? I love my 1911 and M1 carbine but wouldn't to hunt deer with them.
Neither the 1911 or the 30 M1 carbine are adequate deer calibers. As long as the cartridge is capable of killing effectively I believe that you should use whatever rifle you're comfortable with. Every gun out there is a descendant of a military weapon, bolt actions were used in war before they were used on game. I've heard mixed reviews about the performance of imported ammo, they're not as reliable with expansion as the bullets that are made in the US. Reloading is probably the way to go, just load it with a bullet that's designed for lower velocities. I wonder if anyone has loaded the Hornady flex tip 30-30 bullet in the 7.62X39?
Old 12-02-2009, 10:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Centaur 1
Neither the 1911 or the 30 M1 carbine are adequate deer calibers. As long as the cartridge is capable of killing effectively I believe that you should use whatever rifle you're comfortable with. Every gun out there is a descendant of a military weapon, bolt actions were used in war before they were used on game. I've heard mixed reviews about the performance of imported ammo, they're not as reliable with expansion as the bullets that are made in the US. Reloading is probably the way to go, just load it with a bullet that's designed for lower velocities. I wonder if anyone has loaded the Hornady flex tip 30-30 bullet in the 7.62X39?

A deers ribcage is no thicker than a humans, although the hide may be tougher. Both are quite capable of lethal shots, in the right hands. Remington and Browning Auto (and a slew of others) are also derived from military weapons. Point is, if a Model 700 and a AK-47 are setting next to my bed, I'll grab the AK (not that I would ever care to own one) when someone breaks down the door. To that, I don't think that the Ak is the best rifle for deer hunting, nor would I show up to deer camp with one. I believe CZ actually made an attempt at a hunting rifle with that chambering and Remington made SP ammo, last I checked.

Defensive type rifles get zero respect in the hunting field and no points for style. Don't care about the whole accuracy and reliability argument either. Barrett 50 cals are accurate too, but don't belong in a tree stand.

Too many kids playing video games that glorify these guns. Even the inventor of the AK himself is ashamed of his creation.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Centaur 1
As long as the cartridge is capable of killing effectively I believe that you should use whatever rifle you're comfortable with.
I agree. I might note that the very attributes that make a rifle useful for military duty (ruggedness and reliability) also make it useful in the field.

Make sure you can hit with it. The rifles are not known for their accuracy, although IME they can hit a dinner plate at 100 yards consistently.

Re: bullet, be careful there, too. I've penetrated 1/4" steel plate at 100 yards with Chinese soft points. I think the jacket material on any Chinese or Russian ammo is going to have (relative to U.S. commercial ammo) a hight content of ferrous metal. I would stick with commercial hunting ammo. I'm sure it's available, although it might not be on the shelf at Wal-Mart.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.