HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 7.62x39 effect on deer
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2009, 10:32 AM
vabyrd
Banned

Originally Posted by Centaur 1
Neither the 1911 or the 30 M1 carbine are adequate deer calibers. As long as the cartridge is capable of killing effectively I believe that you should use whatever rifle you're comfortable with. Every gun out there is a descendant of a military weapon, bolt actions were used in war before they were used on game. I've heard mixed reviews about the performance of imported ammo, they're not as reliable with expansion as the bullets that are made in the US. Reloading is probably the way to go, just load it with a bullet that's designed for lower velocities. I wonder if anyone has loaded the Hornady flex tip 30-30 bullet in the 7.62X39?

A deers ribcage is no thicker than a humans, although the hide may be tougher. Both are quite capable of lethal shots, in the right hands. Remington and Browning Auto (and a slew of others) are also derived from military weapons. Point is, if a Model 700 and a AK-47 are setting next to my bed, I'll grab the AK (not that I would ever care to own one) when someone breaks down the door. To that, I don't think that the Ak is the best rifle for deer hunting, nor would I show up to deer camp with one. I believe CZ actually made an attempt at a hunting rifle with that chambering and Remington made SP ammo, last I checked.

Defensive type rifles get zero respect in the hunting field and no points for style. Don't care about the whole accuracy and reliability argument either. Barrett 50 cals are accurate too, but don't belong in a tree stand.

Too many kids playing video games that glorify these guns. Even the inventor of the AK himself is ashamed of his creation.