Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer hunting in the Rain

Old 11-29-2009, 06:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default Deer hunting in the Rain

Just wondering how many of you have successfully harvested deer on a rainy day. My vacation starts tomorrow and rain is predicted for the week so I'm a little concerned. Have any of you guys ever been successful before, during or right after a rain shower/thunderstorm? Should I just scrap the plans to go hunting (as if that'll happen, lol). Let's hear it guys...
Old 11-29-2009, 06:53 PM
Spike

Maybe during the rut other wise they tend to stay put if the weather's bad.

Good luck
Old 11-29-2009, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

You won't kill them if you ain't in the woods! I have seen a bunch of deer and killed a few in light rain.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:28 PM
Fork Horn

I killed my 8 pointer this year in the rain. If it's pouring I don't go but in a drizzle or just slow steady rain, I think your chances are as good as any other time.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:14 AM
Fork Horn

During our rifle season, it was warm and sunny opening weekend. Sunday afternoon through Tuesday afternoon it was a lot cooler and rain off and on, sometimes even a pretty good shower. My bro-in-law and I saw more deer on Monday and Tuesday than 9 people did over the course of rest of the season. All on the same property. If I remember correctly, 5 mature doe were harvested those three days. I even had the opportunity see our largest buck. He just wouldn't present himself in an opening long enough for me to pull the trigger.

If it is a hard rain, get out there so you can be set up when it quits, or for few hours before the rain will start. Pretty easy to figure that out now with the internet and live radar feeds.

Good luck.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Best time for the still hunter in big woods. the rain keeps scent down and helps to hide the noise of walking. I use rainy days to skirt swamps and peek over ridges for bedded or feeding deer. Great time to hunt.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:38 AM
Spike

Default Huntin in the rain

I think in general deer stay put if its raining pretty steady.
Light rain or right after a rain is a different story--I think they move then.
Also, it depends if the ruts on where your at or if someone else jumps them from their beds.

Mark
Old 11-30-2009, 05:51 AM
Spike

3 of the last 4 bucks I have killed have been in the rain, from a drizzle to a downpour
Old 11-30-2009, 06:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default Rain's great

Deer DO NOT stay put when it's raining. That's a myth. Do you think if it's raining, they go into their living room, sit on the couch and watch football?

Deer are out there every day. They do not think like people and they will eat and move around, possibly more in the rain.

Another benefit is it means less competition in the woods. If you’ve got a good spot or two and done your homework, you are in great shape. The hardest part is warm and staying dry. Good clothes and a tree umbrella can get you in the right place at the right time. If you have a zip up suit, scotch guard it at the beginning of the season and it will be like a wetsuit. Once it dries, place in a plastic container with a earth scent wafer.