HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - The trouble with scents & calls!!
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2003, 07:43 PM
Marlin 450

Default RE: The trouble with scents & calls!!

Rack Attack, if you pull out the rattle bag ( which in my opinion sounds nothing like a real deer battle) or whip out the grunt tube, you may get lucky enough to get him to stop or turn and seek you out, but if you spook him and he catches a bit of your scent while he is sneeking off, he may never return to the area during daylight hours again that season. If you let him pass, he may just sneek down that trail again in a few days and give you a shot. I have been in that scenerio a few times and have had the buck react by circiling down wind and busting me, or they stop after I call and do not move for what seems like 10 or 15 minuates, so I call again thinking it is working and he pinpoints the sound, catches some movement (which is bound to happen when your trying to rattle or blow into a tube) and sneaks or runs off. My point is simple, if he does not know that you are there and you are patient enough to wait him out, your chances at killing that buck in the near future are better than if you take a chance because you got a little too excited (which also can tip the odds to his advantage)!!