Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 The trouble with scents & calls!! >

The trouble with scents & calls!!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The trouble with scents & calls!!

Old 06-10-2003, 06:23 PM

Default RE: The trouble with scents & calls!!

Woodseye, now that is what I am talking about!!!
I use to hunt around Crystal, Island Falls and Hersey until my wife' s Uncle died.
I use to hunt with him a week every year and have seen some real monsters in the areas we hunted. I spent a lot of time with a light in the pre-season just looking around for big deer and have seen one that looked a lot like that buck your buddy killed. I have seen several big deer in that neck of the woods, but they do not get much for snow in the early season, so I am heading for Ashland this year and maybe Clayton lake area. They usualy have snow and I know the areas well. I do not take a track unless I have circled the area by vehicle and know that that buck is still in that piece of woods he entered and has a good stride with a wide stance. I do not rely much on track size, but do take it into consideration if all the other sign accompany' s it. After all, I dont want to waste a day on a 200 pound doe or a big footed youngster, I have been there and done that !!!

Rhody, I dont want to sound like fields are a waste of time, but if you are hunting around Freedom, I would stick to the bog hunting. I have spent countless hours and years bowhunting the fields around Freedom and if another hunter does not come in and screw you up, it would be a miracle.
If you want to hunt a good field, I know of one that has produced some good bucks in the past years and is not far from Hussey' s general store. Last year I saw 2 real good bucks in that field during bow season, one that is nicknamed Bullwinkle by the locals. He is near 200 B&C as far as I can figure from his sheds that were found in a nearby bog.
I would suggest hunting the bogs overall, the deer around here are very nocturnal and heavily pressured.
The bog road is prime deer hunting if you know where to sneek in before other hunters hit the woods. Let them push the deer around, you just sit tight along the edge of the bog and you will see plenty of deer. The smallest Buck I have killed on that road was a 197 lb. 8 point when I was 15 years old, it is one of my favorite places to hunt and always produces good numbers of deer.
Let me know when you are coming and I will get a topo map to you with a few good spots.

Later guys,

Marlin
Old 06-10-2003, 06:54 PM

FIDEERMAN, I have heard deer make that clicking noise that the truetalker makes and I agree that it could work for me with some practice, but I strongly believe that to kill a Mature Trophy, you got to blend into your surroundings in all aspects. I am sure that there are guys out there that can do it and continue to do it every year with calls, but I can only go by what I have seen and experienced in the past 25 years. I track deer when the weather provides snow cover, but if you really think about trying to out smart big bucks, it only makes sense to become part of their surroundings and let them do their normal thing if sitting on stand.
Thanks for the info, but I have spent enough money on calls, scents & videos to satisfy me.
Good luck this season!!

Marlin
Old 06-10-2003, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Marlin,tracking snow?!?We have tracking sand,doesn' t work that well.LOL Good luck to you to.
Old 06-11-2003, 01:58 PM

FIDEERMAN, I have a sister that lives in Cape Coral, she has been trying to get me to come down and build her a new house and I might just make the trip, but I got to know 1 thing...is the hunting any good??
Old 06-11-2003, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats way south of me so I really don' t have any idea.But, in Florida you can shoot two deer a day every day.Makes up for lack of size.
Old 06-12-2003, 12:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Marlin, I have a house a few minutes south of Cape Coral, I bought it because in my opinion that area has the best fishing in the U.S. and also the most beautiful beeches and water, (I bet your sister has told you the same) Deer hunting never really crossed my mind, that is until I started spending more time down there, there is alot of deer in that area and also alot of pig' s that you can hunt 12 months a year.
If you fish you wont get much work done while your down there, every canal that is fresh water is full of huge bass and the Snook and Tarpon fishing is awesome.

FLdeerhunter, The true talker is my favorite call as well, but if you like the true talker made by H.S. you would have loved the true talker before H.S. bought the patent from a small company here in PA. about 7 or 8 year' s ago. It still looks the same but it sounded and worked even better than it does now. I think they use to be made better back then, they use to cost $20.00 and ofcourse now you can buy them for $10.00. Pike
Old 06-14-2003, 07:05 AM

Thanks for the input guys, I just might make the trip!!
Old 06-14-2003, 07:22 AM

i have never had much luck with calls. i resent being called a sucker for using them. i also use scented candles.they are incased in a metal container for safety. i have had deer go crazy over these things
Old 06-14-2003, 11:43 AM
nub

I will bet that if you take a poll on hunters that kill Mature ( 3 1/2 to 5 1/2 year old) deer, the majority would go to traditional tactics and without the use of scents and calls.
A fool and his money soon part ways.
Old 06-14-2003, 07:46 PM

dep214, dont take it so personal, I am only making a point that calls and scents are not for everyone. All these companys that are getting rich off an un-needed tactic are the ones that make us the suckers of the world. Some areas produce better results than others with artificial lures, but I for one think that traditional methods will work no matter where you are hunting!!
Hunting has become way to influenced by new fangled gadgets and anyone that masters them is no better off than anyone else!!

Quick Reply: The trouble with scents & calls!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.