Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer hunting hospitality

Old 11-24-2009, 04:45 PM
Spike

Default Deer hunting hospitality

Since im new I had one more topic I just wanted to share with you concerning something I just expereinced.

I was born and raised in upstate SC. Im proud to call it home. However in the county im from its become a problem to find some where to hunt unless you own land or lease or join a exspensive club
Im sure this problem is everywhere , not just in my neck of the woods. people have become very protective of there lands (and rightfully so) and long time friends dont even ask or want to take a responsible guest anymore.

We lost our lease 2 years ago to land developement and I couldnt find anywhere to hunt. when i would ask around people were not really down right rude. they would just beat around the bush or make excuses about not being able to take me. the out look was down right dismal.

this year I began working in north east VA. All the guys on my work shift deer hunted. As soon as I mentioned i deer hunted I was invited to hunt several places. I was taken out and i harvested a nice 8 pt and the guys were so excited for me. Im going to hunt some QDM land in the morning with them.

I guess alot of factors come into play but it just amazed me how moving 400 miles up the road changed the atmosphere so much. Sc has a larger pop of deer than Va from what i have read but you wouldnt think it from looking for places to hunt.

just wondering if anyone else has been through this.

Last edited by wolfman73; 11-24-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Being in N. MN, I have the luxury to hunt thousands of acres of state forest lands and paper company properties. The properties are open because in return for letting the public on the land, they get a tax break.

I don't have the problem you speak of, but more lands around game refuges and elsewhere are being leased here. It started about 12-15 years ago where when asked if one can hunt there, the answer was no because the land was being leased by another hunter(s). I recall one property I really wish I could hunt on... the owner said it was being leased for $500 a year. That was about 15 years ago. Just a few years after that, I heard through the grape-vine, that the same guy was now paying a $1,000 a year to have that lease. It was 80 acres.

iSnipe
Old 11-24-2009, 05:13 PM
Spike

$1000 bucks for 80 acres..man....

yeah man, last season was so depressing. I hardly even practiced shooting at all that fall or got my guns out. i didnt even wanna go look at hunting stuff liked i used to do after work everyday.

I have lucked out now and hopefully since all these guys have hundreds of acres of private land to hunt i will be in good comapny for a while. i have already offerd to help plant food plolts ..clear brush..etc durning the off season and there all up for it. i feel real fortunate.

When we had our lease i would take guest. i was never greedy and allowed them to shoot what they saw if it was legal. 2 of my good freinds just ened a 10 year frendship becuase 1 took the other hunting and he killed a big 12 pt the other guy and been chasing for several years. i hate to see stuff like that.