Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Mossberg 500???

Old 11-25-2009, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

I use hornady in my remington and have no complaints.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Shoot some Winchester BRI sabots at target and see what they do.......

Last edited by Rebel Hog; 11-25-2009 at 07:44 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:37 AM
Spike

mine loves winchester platinum tips and te slug hits hard to
Old 11-25-2009, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by uncle matt
My Mossy 500 shoots BuckHammers and both the Brenneke Magnums very well. My nephews new Mossy 500 shoots the Brenneke Mags well also (he hasn't tried any BuckHammers yet).
Uncle Matt,

How do you like the kick of the Buckhammers? I call them shoulder hammers! I still use them cause they shoot the best from my 870.

I agree with most replies on here;
Fliers are from fouling. Clean your barrel between range shots.
Foster slugs will shoot well in rifled barrels. No need for expensive slugs

Here's my own;
Mossbergs suck. They are a hard to pump, rattling piece of poop.

Sorry, had to say it.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:46 AM
Spike

3 mossy 500's in our house my dad and brother shoot hornady sst's. They don't shoot worth a damn out of mine so I shoot remington copper solids. About 3" at 100 yards, work very well in my gun.

also shoot remington slugger 2 3\4 1 ounce rifled slugs. they don't group as well but are pretty good.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I should add that it is probobly worth it to try Brenneke KO's & Brenneke Heavy Field Short Magnums or Black Magic Short Magnums. All are on the much more affordable side and you might be very happy with the results.

And the mags hit like sledgehammers.

http://www.brennekeusa.com/start.html

Old 11-25-2009, 10:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I should also say that although I have shot BuckHammers in the past, I will NO LONGER SHOOT REMINGTON SLUGS OF ANY TYPE - PERIOD.

There has been too many FTFs with them and the problem has been ongoing for years. Remington is well aware of the issue and has made their own decision in addressing the matter and that decision was to do nothing in the name of the dollar. Their dollar, they obviously don't care abouit my/your dollar. I guess the way they look at it is that once they have your dollar - it is their dollar.

If you chose to use their substandard slugs it isn't a matter if you will have a FTF when a deer or other critter is in your sights it is a matter of when.

A few years ago when I was first confronted with the FTF issue I came to the conclusion that the primers were seated too deeply and the firing pin couldn't hit them well enough because the indent was slight. But considering that the primers have a flange that controls the seat depth I looked further.

What did I find? I found that the end of the brass was actually cupped. That's right - cupped.

I laid a machinists straight edge across the face and it was clear as day. I put the edge across other slugs and guess what? They weren't cupped! And guess what else? I have never had a FTF with any other manufacturer of slugs and haven't heard of any ongoing problems with other slugs. Just random occasionalFTF's.

Y'all can draw your own conclusions but I know where I stand. I think either their brass is too thin back there and it warps when the primers are inserted or it is the process of inserting the primers itself with maybe there not being adequate support of the surrounding brass.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

Try the Winchester 2 3/4 BRI. They shhot dead on at 100 with open sites out of my 835 riffled barrell. I tried to shoot Hornady SST last year , jut too hot for me and my gun. Needed to scope it and i won't scope a shot gun. No need for it .
Old 11-30-2009, 03:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Remington Slugster 3 inch mag and Brenneke shoot great out of mine. I took a nice doe at 80 yards with mine the other day. Dropped her in her tracks.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default try this

I have a 500 also and have hunted with it for about 10 years with slugs. I have the rifled BBL with the cantelevered scope mount.

Mine likes the federal sabot slugs and I choose to shoot the ones with the Barnes Copper hollow points.

Mine will outshoot many rifles at 115 yards (The longest I've shot it) and will group 3 shots into 3" at this range! I would have no problem taking a shot at 150 yds with this gun from a decent rest.

If you have tried the major brands and can't get at least a 5" group at 100yards, I'd have to say, you either have a really bad barrel or need to practice shooting with .22s for a while.

I'm not trying to be a smart @$$. I have seen plenty of grown men who have developed a bad flinch from heavy loads like slugs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.