HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Mossberg 500???
Thread: Mossberg 500???
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2009, 10:36 AM
uncle matt
Giant Nontypical

I should also say that although I have shot BuckHammers in the past, I will NO LONGER SHOOT REMINGTON SLUGS OF ANY TYPE - PERIOD.

There has been too many FTFs with them and the problem has been ongoing for years. Remington is well aware of the issue and has made their own decision in addressing the matter and that decision was to do nothing in the name of the dollar. Their dollar, they obviously don't care abouit my/your dollar. I guess the way they look at it is that once they have your dollar - it is their dollar.

If you chose to use their substandard slugs it isn't a matter if you will have a FTF when a deer or other critter is in your sights it is a matter of when.

A few years ago when I was first confronted with the FTF issue I came to the conclusion that the primers were seated too deeply and the firing pin couldn't hit them well enough because the indent was slight. But considering that the primers have a flange that controls the seat depth I looked further.

What did I find? I found that the end of the brass was actually cupped. That's right - cupped.

I laid a machinists straight edge across the face and it was clear as day. I put the edge across other slugs and guess what? They weren't cupped! And guess what else? I have never had a FTF with any other manufacturer of slugs and haven't heard of any ongoing problems with other slugs. Just random occasionalFTF's.

Y'all can draw your own conclusions but I know where I stand. I think either their brass is too thin back there and it warps when the primers are inserted or it is the process of inserting the primers itself with maybe there not being adequate support of the surrounding brass.