Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What Do We Know About Safety Belts & Harnesses? >

What Do We Know About Safety Belts & Harnesses?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What Do We Know About Safety Belts & Harnesses?

Old 11-18-2009, 08:49 PM
Typical Buck

One thing we all know and can agree on is they are just like seat belts in cars, they save more lives than they take, and anybody not using them is risking their life every time they climb into a tree. I got a free foot loop thingy w/ an API stand i bought this fall. I don't use it, but I always set up my tree connection so my strap is tight, can't even bend over to tie my boots lol.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Schobs
...I always set up my tree connection so my strap is tight, can't even bend over to tie my boots lol.
Well my friend, it gets worse...

How about a nice deer walks in and you stand up to ready for the shot, you draw... or "try" to draw, but find out you're strapped in too close to the tree and can't get your bow drawn back?

LOL!

That's NEVER happened to me!

iSnipe
Old 11-18-2009, 10:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't hunt from a treestand much, however I use a safety harnesses at work. #1 rule is a safety line is only good if it prevents you from falling off or hanging mid air so you can't get yourself unto stable footing. #2 is the harness should be a 5 point harness which distributes the force of the fall and pressure to your legs, shoulder and torso. I'm not up on the new harnesses but basically you should step in to leg holes, pull over the shoulders and belt across the chest. Safety line hook in should be between shoulder blades. The harness must be snug enough not to slip but obviously not to snug to be uncomfortable. #3 safety line hook in point is situated so if you do fall it will hold and be in a direct as line as possible to decrease tangling or miscalculations and falling further then you intended(not as much of an issue for a treestand, since I assume most hook in directly behind their seating area but I've seen some shows where they have the line off to the side and that could present some troubles if they went off that way_

I have a sliding hook up on my safety line to allow me to move and work around the area, I cinch it in so that its pulling me well before I'm in any real danger. I've had a couple really close calls when getting to cute with my pressure points and actually learned from those expereinces. Basically if your at the edge and its not yanking you back hard, your too loose. In the woods your by yourself most times and need to be able to bail yourself out vs count on some one to help.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by skeeter 7MM
I don't hunt from a treestand much,... I'm not up on the new harnesses but basically you should step in to leg holes, pull over the shoulders and belt across the chest. Safety line hook in should be between shoulder blades.
Skeeter,

The harnesses the hunters use, even the more expensive ones, are nothing near the quality as the kind you use, but they are still effective. I have some of the heavy duty harnesses you speak of. They have the decelerators, metal clips, D-rings, etc. The hunter's model are similar but without all the metal stuff. They're put on the same way you mention. When I got my very first harness, I was scared I would never figure it out! LOL!

Thanks for touching up on the pointers on the safe use of the harnesses.

iSnipe
Old 11-19-2009, 03:11 AM
Ava
Fork Horn

The harness I got with my stand is like a maze. The tree stand box I purchased said it came with a harness but I bought a Remington Climbing Harness Vest anyways. Yeah, I paid a lot for it but it looks so much easier to put on which is a bonus in my book!
Old 11-19-2009, 04:59 AM
Banned

These kind are only $150 and tons better in my opinion.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...2182_200322182