Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Moon Phase Hunting?

Old 09-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default Moon Phase Hunting?

For Indiana's season opener it is going to be 5 days after a full moon, Is this good or bad? If any body does a lot of deer hunting by moon phases feel free to give any advise or tips that might help me out.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:39 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Moon Phase Hunting?

Go here: www.amazon.com

Buy this:

Learn and enjoy.

I'm just getting started with it and can't offer much info. I have talked to a lot of folks about hunting by moon phases. Some say it's a big deal, others say they pay no attention to it.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:54 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: zmschillin

For Indiana's season opener it is going to be 5 days after a full moon, Is this good or bad? If any body does a lot of deer hunting by moon phases feel free to give any advise or tips that might help me out.
The study of animal and Insect reactions to the Barometer readings is more accurate than to the Moon Phases.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

Hey zmschillin, what season are you talking about opening(bow or gun)? I also hunt in Southwest Indiana. I usually don't have much luck whenever there is a full moon out. You want to try and hunt the days before and after a new moon. Because this is the time whenever the most daytime feeding occurs. Don't get me wrong, you will still see some deer during the full moon, just not as many. Tell me what season you are hunting and I will tell you what information on the moon phases I have found out.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:31 AM
jf5

I too understand the new moon to be good for daytime feeding. However, IMO, the moon is only part of the equation. Overall combination if "conditions" is what to look at. Weather, solar and lunar phases, hunting pressure, water/food sources, etc...all play little roles.

Off course, the gun season in my state is only 2 weeks long, so we just hunt regardless...
Old 09-05-2007, 04:22 PM
Fork Horn

I am talking about bow season, Octobet 1
Old 09-05-2007, 07:39 PM

Full moon hunting has NEVER been good for me. This is the only phase I have paid attention to. This is a great topic. Thanks for bringing it up. Hopefully, we'll all learn from each others' experience onthe topic.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

when hunting the week of the full moon over the years I see most my deer at mid-day ...and have taken my largest buck on that week.

dd
Old 09-06-2007, 09:57 AM
Typical Buck

when hunting a full moon you need to hunt mid day. The deer feed all night during a full moon and then just lay during the day.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:25 AM

When "expert" super successful hunters like Miles Keller and Andrae D' Acquisto (Lone Wolf"tree stands) swear by the moon charts and hunt accordingly, that's enough for me to try them out too. If you only have a certain amount of time to hunt it can't hurt to try to hunt the correct "moon times" Both Miles and Andrae, use Jeff Murray's charts. Jeff has a book "Moon Struck" that is very informative and worth reading.It isn't only what time to hunt during certain moon phases, but where to hunt.I will be trying it out for the first time this season so I will let everyone know how it goes for me. Andrae has an article in "Bowhunting Extreme World magazine that is good reading and mentions the moon stuff. 2007 Vol. 56, No. 6 Good Luck! Jeff Laskowski

Quick Reply: Moon Phase Hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.