Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Deer sign everywhere... yet I cant seem to find them? What gives? >

Deer sign everywhere... yet I cant seem to find them? What gives?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer sign everywhere... yet I cant seem to find them? What gives?

Old 11-17-2009, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

YOu stink. I mean it. Just kidding. Are you checking the wind? Your scent will give you away before you ever even get to see a deer even when you try to be scent free. When is the rut in your area? If you use that stuff to early it can run deer off.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:00 PM
Fork Horn

Try this,
Everything else mentioned is spot on but you also need to find Buck scrapes and hang out near them. Scrapes are an indication that Doe's frequent the area and thats why he is scraping there. They also tend to bed near where they are scraping. If there are Doe's in the area you are hunting, there will be Bucks. The rut in on right now so don't wait!
Old 11-18-2009, 05:51 PM
Spike

Smile

Originally Posted by 7MMXBOLT
Try this,
Everything else mentioned is spot on but you also need to find Buck scrapes and hang out near them. Scrapes are an indication that Doe's frequent the area and thats why he is scraping there. They also tend to bed near where they are scraping. If there are Doe's in the area you are hunting, there will be Bucks. The rut in on right now so don't wait!
well there are scrapes at all four corners on the property and everywhere inbetween. They are literally everywhere it seems... I think I scared one off today. I was sitting on a ridge for 6 hours and didnt see a thing.... So I got up at about 12:30 and as I stood up I heard something running away... It was to big to be a squirrel or raccoon or something. fallen limbs were snapping as it left in a hurry. squirrels also have a random pattern of noise in the leaves where as this was something big clearly running away.

I found big 'ole bear tracks 6" near where a owl had made home in a hollowed out dead tree. Don't know if the bear saw the owl and thought timber chicken was on the menu or what lol. But if I was the owl that was a little close. The tree was only about 10 feet tall.