Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Question about Bucks?

Old 11-17-2009, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default Question about Bucks?

I have pictures of a decent sized 7 point on my trail cam a month ago. well I haven't had any pics until this morning when what I think is him, well he came out in the day light and I could get a good look at his rack. Its about 3 inches wider and 2 - 3" taller. I was wondering could this be the same deer that has grown more after he came out of velvet???
Old 11-17-2009, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by dpj1030
I have pictures of a decent sized 7 point on my trail cam a month ago. well I haven't had any pics until this morning when what I think is him, well he came out in the day light and I could get a good look at his rack. Its about 3 inches wider and 2 - 3" taller. I was wondering could this be the same deer that has grown more after he came out of velvet???
Antlers do not grow after velvet is shed. Period. It either looks larger but isn't actually larger or it's not the same deer.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:28 AM
Fork Horn

Anyone else have any opinions?
Old 11-18-2009, 06:58 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by dpj1030
Anyone else have any opinions?
It's not a matter of opinion. Do you know how antlers grow or what velvet is?

Each antler grows from an attachment point on the skull called a pedicle. While an antler is growing, it is covered with highly vascular skin called velvet, which supplies oxygen and nutrients to the growing bone; once the antler has achieved its proper size, the velvet is lost and the antler's bone dies. This dead bone structure is the mature antler, which is itself shed after each mating season.
In the case of a question like this, the answer cannot possibly be a matter of opinion. It's objective one way or the other.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yet to have seen a buck who looked smaller in velvet then hard horn. My opinion different deer.

Antlers don't grow after velvet.