Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Worst night ever

Old 11-16-2009, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default Worst night ever

The 8 point I shot last week I found alrite I foundits gut pile someone jacked it from me. Tonight sat in my stand a gorgeous 10 point came down chasing a doe. I shot and the shot mustv deflected off a branch or something and I shot him in the head? slash neck the arrow went in 6 inches I looked at it after and there was 6 inches of blood on it. After I shot him he ran 10 yards and hopped rite on her trail again and went off searching. I saw him from the side a ways off. When I shot him he was coming to the left of me but when i saw him a ways off his right ear was pooring blood thats what doesnt make sense to me. Like His right ear was floppy and it wasnt a scratch like there was a good amount of blood coming out of it and he just kept on shaking his head like a dog would if it were drying off. I dont think hes dead but im not sure. Im going to be safe and search tomorrow because every animal needs to be respected and be searched for. But like he was pooring bloodfrom his ear and still chasing her? was this out of adrenaline or like I just dont get it. Is he going to live, its a toss up to me cause he was acting so weird like nothing had happened.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

wow thats rough man, sorry to hear that. I think that deer will live if you hit him in the ear ,if it was a lethal head shot it would have dropped him. deer have alot of vitamin k in their blood and clot really quick .
Old 11-16-2009, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

thats what gets me tho cause it was sticking out of his neck he ran 10 yards and it came out after brushing against branches. The arrow shows 6 inches of penetration I just dont get it my luck cannot get any worse
Old 11-16-2009, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

At first, reading this, I thought: "He's punking us",(ie,joking) because I was thinking that's too many incidents like that in a short period of time. I realize though that poop happens and you're just getting your unfair share unloaded all on you at once.

I won't say the number because it's almost unbelievable and I wouldn't feel right saying anyway, but I have a friend that wounded a LOT of deer within one year. I was there for most of those tracking jobs where the deer was never found. He was using a compound bow with the new expandable broadheads... the Wasp Jackhammers.

It took me years later to figure what happened and why this was happening. I learned by getting and seeing feedback from other bowhunters. The problem was that many of his shots were quartering and expandables do not do well with quartering shots because one side of the broadhead could open up first and allowing it to flip or lose penetration. So, I bring this up to tell you bad things happens to good hunters. I don't mean to sound cliché, as it does happen to others in the field and they get over it.

As for the gut pile, I don't think it's the same deer. Around these parts a gut pile NEVER lasts 2 days. Birds of prey and ravens have too good of eye-sight to let them be around that long and if the winged critters don't get them, the coon, skunk, bobcat, fisher, fox, coyote or timberwolves will.

You're just have a run of unfortunate circumstance. Let it go and like I said previous, don't let it shake your confidence; just keep on hunting and eventually your luck will change!

iSnipe
Old 11-17-2009, 01:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

One of the hardest things to learn becoming a successful bowhunter is when to shoot. Having an animal in range does not mean there is a shot opportunity. Not saying you did anything wrong. Live and learn.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:19 AM
Banned

Bow hunting can be rough. Maybe a little more patients on your shots, little more work clearing shooting lanes. Just got to keep at it.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by scribbler444
thats what gets me tho cause it was sticking out of his neck he ran 10 yards and it came out after brushing against branches. The arrow shows 6 inches of penetration I just dont get it my luck cannot get any worse
I wasnt there so I can only guess, but it sounds like the arrow went in and out just under the skin, if you hit the buck in the skull or spine, it would have at least knocked him down for a second. mabye youll see him again next year w/ a floppy ear and a nontypical rack on 1 side , poor guy but Im sure he'll live though. dont feel too bad Ive been there myself, keep trying
Old 11-17-2009, 02:05 PM
Fork Horn

snipe I wish I was punking you. I dont hunt the same stand everynight and the place I hunt is a huge farm with cornfields and patches of woods. Theres 4 different spots I like to hunt depending on wind direction and mood im in. I shot this gorgeous monster almost point blank and dontno how this horrible incident happened but only got 6 inches penetration on it. It hit a branch and his his head neck area he was pooring blood from his ear. Every thing just piles on top of eachother someone jacked my deer now this trophy gets away from me when I could have jumped on its back and wrestled it thats how close it was. Will my luck change? I sure as hell hope so cause rite now I am tempted to break my bow in half
Old 11-17-2009, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Exclamation

A blonde decides to learn and try horse back riding unassisted without prior experience or lessons. She mounts the horse with great effort, and the tall, shiny horse springs into motion.

It gallops along at a steady and rhythmic pace, but the blonde begins to slip from the saddle. Out of shear terror, she grabs for the horse's mane but cannot seem to get a firm grip. She tries to throw her arms around the horse's neck, but she slides down the side of the horse anyway. The horse gallops along, seemingly oblivious to its slipping rider.

Finally, giving up her frail grip, she leaps away from the horse to try and throw herself to safety.

Unfortunately, her foot has become entangled in the stirrup. She is now at the mercy of the horse's pounding hooves as her head is struck against the ground again and again. As her head is battered against the ground, she is mere moments away from unconsciousness or even death when Frank, the Wal-Mart manager runs out to shut the horse off.

What's the moral of the story? Get back on the horse! LOL!

iSnipe
Old 11-17-2009, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

great logic lmao, Iv been going out strong again seen some scrap bucks and a few does toight still got tomorrw morning ad friday morning and night to go. Then rifle opens saturday I kinda wish there was no such thing as rifle season. Bow season you can see the same 8 pointer everyday with a slew of does. After a week of rifle season your lucky to see a squirrel with a slew of chipmunks