Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Broken Antlers......

Old 11-17-2009, 09:22 AM
Spike

Question Broken Antlers......

I shot a smaller buck on Sunday that had a broken tip on one side....

I've caught pics on my trail cam of 2 other bucks in the area with broken racks

last year i saw a great big non-typical with great mass, 7 points on one side....but the other side as broken in velvet......later in the season he managed to break off the other side too (Mid/late November-ish)..so he was left with brow tines and stumps.

any ideas on what sorts of food plots i should add to prevent this?

IL does not allow mineral blocks...so that's out

other ideas?

or is this totally normal?
Old 11-17-2009, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Illinois doesn't allow mineral blocks? Not even for nutrition? Do they consider it baiting or something?
Old 11-17-2009, 10:05 AM
Spike

not sure why....the only thing I can think of is the spread of CWD *shrug*
Old 11-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jeep4x4greg
IL does not allow mineral blocks...so that's out...
You may want to check your reg's as that doesn't sound right. I can see not being able to use them "while" hunting, but to supply it to them prior to season to help with their nutrition and antler growth is a whole different matter.

iSnipe
Old 11-17-2009, 06:25 PM
Spike

nope....not legal in IL....

from the hunting regs....

"Hunting Deer Over Salt or Bait
It is unlawful to take deer by using salt or other kind of bait. NOTE: An area is considered as baited during the presence of and for 10 consecutive days following the removal of bait. It is unlawful to feed deer at any time, even when not hunting ."

and then also

"Feeding Wildlife
It is unlawful to make available food, salt, mineral blocks or other products for ingestion by wild deer or other wildlife in areas where
wild deer are present."

*edit* there is an exception for food plots and agricultural products btw..*

if it was just a mater of not hunting over it that'd be fine.....but We cant even have it at all.

I did a little research and saw red clover is high in calcium and protien....so I may try some of that in spring.

any other suggestions for stuff for the food plot are welcome!
Old 11-17-2009, 06:58 PM
Typical Buck

It might not be a health issue, it could have something to do with the population dynamics of your area i.e. buck:doe ratio. Too many bucks and not enough does could lead to excessive sparring and fighting for the right to mate. I'm not sure what the deer density or buck:doe ratio are like in your area, but this could be playing a factor. That being said, I have never heard of a food plot harming a deer herd, so if you have the means and money, go for it. Check out the Wildlife Management forum on here, it's basically a food plot forum.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow. That's pretty strict then. I thought there would be some sort of clause indicating time of year, etc.

iSnipe
Old 11-17-2009, 08:41 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by iSnipe
Wow. That's pretty strict then. I thought there would be some sort of clause indicating time of year, etc.

iSnipe
sadly no ....I've heard it was added just a few years ago (before I cared much about deer hunting) due to CWD....
Old 11-17-2009, 08:43 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Schobs
It might not be a health issue, it could have something to do with the population dynamics of your area i.e. buck:doe ratio. Too many bucks and not enough does could lead to excessive sparring and fighting for the right to mate. I'm not sure what the deer density or buck:doe ratio are like in your area, but this could be playing a factor. That being said, I have never heard of a food plot harming a deer herd, so if you have the means and money, go for it. Check out the Wildlife Management forum on here, it's basically a food plot forum.
Thanks....hadnt thought of that....

by my trail cam i'd guess the ratio is close to 50/50.....lots of smaller bucks, none of the big ones from last year though...maybe they moved to "greener" pasture for does.