Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Lost a nice buck..need help making sense of it >

Lost a nice buck..need help making sense of it

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Lost a nice buck..need help making sense of it

Old 11-17-2009, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dont know why people have to use these threads to suggest that archery tackle is not an effective means of killing game, it most certainly is. plenty of deer poorly shot w/ heavy caliber rifles are lost each year aswell. if you choose not to bowhunt thats fine ,but to suggest its because its not effective is disengenuoius.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:24 AM
Spike

I wish I could keep looking more. However I live 2.5 hours a way from this property. I will be heading back up this weekend, but it will be opening weekend of gun season, and most of the neighboring properties will be chock full of blaze-orange clad humans in stands and will not likely allow me to wander freely across their land.

I was thinking about printing out a flyer and distributing to all the neighboring properties saying to keep an eye out for this dead buck and offering some reward for finding it.

There should be dozens of hunters walking through the surrounding properties this weekend and seems to be the best chance someone will stumble onto the deer.

What do you guys think? if you found a dead buck with a nice rack on it and an arrow wound, and knew that a neighboring hunter had lost a deer the previous weekend bowhunting, would you respond to a flyer left in your mailbox to call that neighboring hunter? Even if you had never met him before?

Or would you just cut the rack off and keep it yourself. What should the reward be to make it worth someone's time to call me if they find the deer???
Old 11-17-2009, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
If you are lucky a coyote will eat the broadhead.......I probably hear more hunters say that they "stuck one" rather than killed one. I also don't bow hunt anymore.
And I hear more of the gun hunters say "it didn't drop, so I know I missed it".

Recovery/loss rates for bow and gun are about the same.

Last edited by SteveBNy; 11-26-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you ever have problems tracking a deer again, find a buddy with a deer dog. A buddy of mine shot a doe that left no evidence to track with at all. We decided to use a dog to track it and found it within six or seven minutes.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

It's entirely possible the deer is still running does. I've shot my share of deer with either a broadhead or even a broadhead with part of an arrow still in it. I've also butchered deer where you could see where the pattern of a broadhead had puntured the hide with very little evidence of a wound in the flesh. The fact that the deer never bedded down tells me he wasn't as hurt as it may seem from the shot. A mortally wounded deer will bed shortly after being wounded. As to your flyer, I would definitely respond. I think we owe it to each other as hunters to be courteous and talk with each other. Enjoy each others success and failures and help each other out. That would mean returning a deer found dead when you know the person has been looking for it like mad. I hope you find your deer, but if you don't worry too much because there is always the possibility that it survived.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

looks/sounds like there is a dead deer out there...get a blood dawg and wouldnt be a problem..next weekend, gonna need a good seasoned dawg to find that.

$50 is a good reward..i would call...times are tough and someone elses deer is no trophy, but $50 will pay fer my gas and be a good reward fer someone elses deer.

i agree with the previous statement that the deer is fillin up with blood and till it gets so full it will not pour out on the ground.

i have seen a deer mortally wounded not know it and continue to chase does for 200 yards and die w/o ever actin like he was hit..so i would go back out thursday or friday b4 everyone shows up and take a good look b4 rifle starts.

gl and dont give up...go take another look, take a buddy or a dawg or both and give er the ol college try!!
Old 11-17-2009, 12:44 PM
Fork Horn

I have to agree about hitting higher then you think. Shot placement is high (IMHO) to start with. If the deer was looking right at you on high alert, he could get lower pretty quick. This would put the shot high enough to be unrecoverable or even still a live animal. Glad to see that you did not blame the broadhead or equipment for a marginal shot.

Best thing to do is learn from this experience and become a better bow hunter. As everyone on this forum has seen, deer are tough. He could still be out there walking around, why aren't you?
Old 11-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Spike

Well it worked out after all. My cousin shot the deer opening morning, he was up and chasing does.

Here is the mystery..the arrow entrance wound was WAY lower than I had thought I saw in my mind. It was in front of the shoulder and appears to have only gone in the brisket (sp?)

The buck was happy and chasing does, the wound was already healing.

It really bothers me that I was so confident I had SEEN the arrow with my own eyes protruding from the deers back??? What the...??

Either way I couldn't imagine a better ending to an otherwise terrible experience. Here is a pic of the buck.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I for one and happy with the results. However, what would have capped it off even better for me was to see the wound. Just curious, not morbid. LOL!

Congratulations to you and your cousin. To you for sharing your story and ultimately knowing the results and to your cousin for not choking like you did. LOL! Just kidding. To your cousin for getting your nice buck!

Take care,

iSnipe

Last edited by iSnipe; 11-23-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:09 PM
Typical Buck

I shot a deer my cousin arrowed two months earlier, he was all tore up. I told him the deer made it a half mile without us pushing and that he was fine. Broadhead fell out on the concrete while I was skinning him. I shot him a mile away from the bow stand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.