Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What Ethical Decision Did You Make w/No One Watching? >

What Ethical Decision Did You Make w/No One Watching?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What Ethical Decision Did You Make w/No One Watching?

Old 11-17-2009, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

7.62NATO-

No, I just flushed you out as the person you are. Your last post just proved it. I've learned a lot in life and if a person is just patient long enough, things are revealed.

LOL!

And that's the way that is.

Yeah, you caught me Sherlock. My intent was to try and impress a bunch of strangers on the internet about my great ethics and pat myself on the back for that, just so I can feel better because of my low self-esteem. LOL!

Puh leeeeeez.

Now carry on or be found guilty of entering a battle of wits... unarmed.

iSnipe
Old 11-18-2009, 03:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
Almost always when leaving the woods. I'll see deer on the way out. Sometimes it's questionable light. Sometimes close to the road, but legal distance. A lot of times these shots are legal to take, but I think of the worst case and pass. Like a deer not being hit perfectly in the fading light and dropping closer to the road than I would like.
I have kind of a "rule" when coming off a stand or wrapping it up. Once I've decided I'm done, I unload and thats it. I walk out empty, and yeah, like you, usually see something.

That's the way it goes sometimes, but sometimes it goes the other way.

As for 7.62, guess he's feeling a little guilty. Nice to hear about guys doing the right thing rather than trying to justify poaching, baiting, and other questionable behavior.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:36 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by vabyrd
I have kind of a "rule" when coming off a stand or wrapping it up. Once I've decided I'm done, I unload and thats it. I walk out empty, and yeah, like you, usually see something.

That's the way it goes sometimes, but sometimes it goes the other way.

As for 7.62, guess he's feeling a little guilty. Nice to hear about guys doing the right thing rather than trying to justify poaching, baiting, and other questionable behavior.
Oh no....unless it's legal right?

I have noticed that when I began bow hunting that I became more selective with my shot selections with a gun. Of course there are more shot "options" with a gun than a bow, but being patient with my bow has carried over to my gun. Is that's being ethical, than I like to think my ethics are increasing/refining. I have noticed that I am much more selective of which deer I put down as well. My first deer was a yearling doe, and the following season, I was shooting anything. From that season on, I have grown "pickier and pickier." No dig on shooting yearlings or young/small bucks, just a personal preference.

As for a specific story of what I see as a good example ethical behavior...well, I took a small buck who was obviously diseased. He was missing most of his fur and was emaciated. I had to use my tag and take care of him (we get plenty of tags any way). I called the NC Wildlife Commission and they took him for testing.

Another example, I took one of my 6th grade students hunting (his time ever). We sat in a blind and talked about deer, life, hunting, and what ever came to mind. We saw a doe, but he didn't have it in him to pull the trigger. That was fine. He is/was a troubled kid, but something about hunting clicked in him. Now he's in 8th grade and doing great. I like to think I had a small part in it. I see him almost daily, and I gave him an old climber stand along with some other hunting stuff. He told me he got his dad into hunting and they both killed their first deer this season.

Good hunting!!
JC-
Old 11-18-2009, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by PY Antlers
I guess one could call it ethic's, I prefer to call it respecting the animal I'm hunting. I have had situations that happen as well. Only seeing apart of the body, poor shot angle etc.. I always wait for what I feel is going to be a one shot fatal hit. Nothing buts a knot in my gut worse than seeing a deer going through the woods with a leg shot off or guts hanging out stuff like that. Things like that are what fuel the Anti's. It's not just about picking a spot...........it's about picking the right spot.
Very well said, PY Antlers. I agree 100%.
I look at it not so much as ethical but having respect for the animal hunted and doing it legally.

I hunt from a treestand from dark 'til dark. I load my weapon the minute of legal shooting hours and unload the same at the end of the day. If I am in a thick, nasty area with low light conditions, I will begin my walk back during legal hours to hunt more open places that offers a safe shot. Once time has ended for the day, my weapon is immedialtely unloaded. That's the legal part.

The respect part reared it's head just last year. I had a big NH 8 pointer step out unexpectidely below me. This was a beautiful buck that would have dressed at 180+. He walked through the thick pines offering me no decent shot. At one point he stopped less than 20 yds away and all I could see was his back legs and hip. I could have shot but waited for a better shot at his vitals. Of course that naver happened. He stayed in the pines never to be seen again. I have never regretted making that decision.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:17 AM
Fork Horn

I have a few storys I can share and I know they will never happen again reason being is because both deer were a loss. First one was 3 years ago or so. I had been sitting in stand all day and my father texted me and said he was about a mile away coming in the truck. I was hunting an old logging road That had been grown up all around me. I saw movement in the woods and couldn't make out what it was, Seconds later I saw is head go up and a big rack I immediately got BUCK FEVER!!!!! I Was freaking out! Biggest deer I ever saw so I could here my dads truck getting closer and closer and finally saw him well the buck started to ease off so I PUT MY RIFLE UP ON CENTER MASS, AND BAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! I Heard bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! He ran and ran and ran. We found a little bit of dark blood mixed with some kind of food and crap he had just ate. Guessing I gut shot him. Last year some buddys of mine were looking for there buck and saw what we believe to think his his rack. MAIN fRAIM 9 POINT.

Another was last year, Last Day of Bow season. Doe comes out on the plot right as Im half down the tree in my climber, Me being the idiot that I am turns On my pins and tries to take a shot at her. Of course I hit right wher I was aiming. Which was middle of the silhouette. Gut shot her. Complete pass through she hit the fence on the edge of my plot on the way out, never saw her again. Thats my storys

I'll never do something like that stupid again.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

I wouldn't call ethics into question when chosing to not fire towards a home,or hunter. To do so is either stupid, and illegal. Don't hunt with rifles near homes!!!!!!!
Old 11-18-2009, 07:12 AM
Fork Horn

Using your weapon while climbing or descending with a climber is another check mark on life's goals towards being carried by six.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

Those are all some tough situations. I also agree karma will catch up with you sooner or later!
Old 11-18-2009, 09:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by huntr4lfe
Those are all some tough situations. I also agree karma will catch up with you sooner or later!
I'm hoping my Karma will look a lot like your avatar.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:01 PM
Banned

This bow season, I was tracking the cow elk I shot and passed up a shot at a bull I had called in. No one would have been the wiser . . . but I would have known.
In fact, I never did find the cow! Hours spent searching after what blood we could find. Ending up on our hands and knees at one point (my wife joined in the search), and can only assume the cow survived. So did the bull!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.