Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What Ethical Decision Did You Make w/No One Watching? >

What Ethical Decision Did You Make w/No One Watching?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What Ethical Decision Did You Make w/No One Watching?

Old 11-18-2009, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

iSnipe - Just what type of person do you think I am? Please reveal to all.

As for the battle of wits, I didn't know we were playing. Please continue playing with yourself.

And by the way, you're the one that came back like an ass after I said I was glad to hear your perspective on the purpose of the thread. That says a lot.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
iSnipe - Just what type of person do you think I am? Please reveal to all.
Sure, not a problem. And will parallel what others are thinking too as YOU can obviously see others have said about you in this very thread.

I easily saw through your very first post:

Hmmm...looks like everyone's watching now...
You see, it's clear, very clear what your statement really meant, but you didn't have the cajones to come out and say it, but we knew what you meant.

Then I replied to that saying:

Originally Posted by iSnipe
Yep. And that's GREAT! Now maybe some people can get an idea of the right decisions that were made while in the moment and learn sometimes these things can't be taught, but learned through their own experiences and judgment of what positive ethics are.
And here's where even Helen Keller could have seen your hidden intention, as if we didn't see it in your first post:

Cool, I'm glad that's the way you're looking at it.
You said that because that's the way you were NOT looking at it.

You further on yourself by saying the below:

your intent wasn't to start a, "look at me and how ethical I am," pat yourself on the back type of thread. Now I'm not so sure.
You see, it's always has been your original intent to mean just that. To say otherwise is BS!

It's funny you said I came back like an ass, when it's obvious you were one from the beginning and are one now. You didn't think I would notice the childish subtlety in your very first post, but I saw it and eventually up to now, exposed you for being a jerk.

What purpose are you here anyway? You have NOT made any contributions we here can use and one of your first posts is BS criticizing that my intent of the post was to pat myself on the back. Normally I don't pay attention to people like you. And when I say "people like you", you can fill that in with your favorite derogatory word, because I'm sure it would fit you just right.

You came here mean-spirited. You contributed NOTHING but to create waves and be a jerk. Your subtle first post was the beginning of your shenanigans here and was NOT some random post made out to be more than it is, but IS exactly what you originally had intended... to be a snide remark towards me.

So don't think you'll come here, to a productive post, make rude comments to me or my forum friends without getting some back. I suggest in the future you keep such comments to yourself and just leave people alone.

I also gave you fair warning in my prior post when I said: "Now carry on...". I suggest you heed that suggestion, because I'm not done, but if you insist, I have more to say. I also suggest you move on to a post where you are welcome. I created this post to share a story with others and hear other people's stories too. Not to hear this **** from you.

iSnipe
Old 11-18-2009, 10:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Was sitting in my blind when I heard a shot to the west from the road, since the entire area is posted and only a few had persmission I crawled out of my blind to took a look. I heard a vehicle racing north down the road so started walking to towards the road, then noticed a deer coming towards the property. Miffed at the nerve of some people I really thought nothing of it until I noticed the deer appeared to be labouring. I threw up the binos and could see the deer was a buck with his hind leg dangling. I watched him go into a small bluff but he didn't re-appear so I grabbed my smokepole and went over to check it out. Try as he may the buck couldn't muster an escape so I put him down and ended my season by using my only buck tag. This was a deer I'd been seeing near daily and passing because of his potential for next year, however it was the only thing to do in my mind. Legally if i had not shot and called the CO's I could have continued hunting but ethically to leave the animal suffering for who knows how long..nope.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

skeeter 7mm,

I really have to commend you on that decision. I realize you have great opportunities of seeing bucks we "southerners" can only dream about! It's just too bad the CO didn't hear about it; not so much in the possibility of catching the offenders, but to at least give you an additional tag for your fine efforts.

Thanks,

iSnipe
Old 11-18-2009, 10:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by iSnipe
skeeter 7mm,

I really have to commend you on that decision. I realize you have great opportunities of seeing bucks we "southerners" can only dream about! It's just too bad the CO didn't hear about it; not so much in the possibility of catching the offenders, but to at least give you an additional tag for your fine efforts.

Thanks,

iSnipe

I called the CO's they came out did the report, etc but I put the finishing shot in the buck and therefor letter of the law is I tag it. Possession is 9/10ths. Legal and ethics are too different things, often clouded by hunters it seems. I made a ethical call that I knew had legal implications. I'm sure i could have asked and even got a sup tag but didn't.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

As far as what "others" here have said about me, you must be referring to the single comment where it was inferred that I must be feeling guilty about the unethical behaviors I presumably am participating in (baiting, poaching), and it seems you concur with this. Nothing could be more wrong. In fact, in terms of hunting ethics, we probably have very similar values.

The intent of my first post was to basically question why it is necessary to emphasize ethics while "no-one is looking." To make the right decision when you could easily make a wrong one that could benefit you in some fashion while no-one would be the wiser is its own reward. For some reason, it rubbed me the wrong way, and, yes, I thought that it was possible that this could be a "let's toot our own horns and feel good about it" thread. Probably because of the behavior I noticed in another thread where people were thumbing their noses at others based on a decision they might have made.

You clarified your intent, and I was conceding to it. Nothing more, nothing less. You read way into my response (Cool, I'm glad that's the way you're looking at it.") as if it had some hidden meaning. Let me clarify. "YOU'RE", as in YOU ARE, as to YOUR INTENT, being that YOU are the ORIGINAL POSTER. YOUR INTENT, has EVERYTHING to do with it. That's all I meant by "you're." But you had to read into it instead of letting things stand peacefully.

When you came back in the pompous, arrogant way you did, I reconsidered your previous post and decided that it's entirely possible that you love to hear the sound of your voice. That's pretty obvious from anyone that openly states their intellect is something to be reckoned with.

Why am I here? The same reason most people are. To learn more about hunting and the things that go with it. I'm new to hunting; this is my second season. I have a few stories to tell and a few pointers to give, but I'm mostly learning. The other posts of mine consist of questions that others may be able to learn from, and a single contributing post (so far). While I'm new to hunting and to this forum, I don't need a certain post count to question anybody. You wanna criticize me for questioning you? Fine by me.

End of missives on this end. You're free to have at it.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

7.62NATO,

That's a mighty fine post. I appreciate it, really. Looks like to me you're a man of clear understanding with ability to be articulate when you need to be. Had you been articulate a little earlier, we wouldn't be having these back and forth non-sense posts.

For what it's worth, I misjudged you, but I really feel I'm right about everything I said about how it went down. There's nothing you can say to sway my opinion on that. I have a strong sense about things and I'm usually right. Regardless, that's a moot point and not important at this juncture. Just wanted to say your post caught me off-guard and believe you are here for the benefit of not only yourself, but others, so that's ok with me.

I'll carry on. LOL!

iSnipe
Old 11-21-2009, 03:44 AM
Spike

Spined a big doe early this season - very early into a hunt.

Knew that there were more doe on the way, have always wanted a "double", but I could hear the doe that I spined crawling in the brush. Knew that she was alive and would not die soon.

So, I got down out of the stand and finished her off. Earliest afternoon hunt end I'd ever had.

Had mixed thoughts at first, but just before I finished her, I knew that I was making the correct decision.

Was rewarded with the best tasting venison that I've ever had - this includes "Ranch" or "Farm Raised".

JTL

Last edited by jtl60047; 11-23-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:00 AM
Dominant Buck

The one thing I have learned in over 45 years of hunting is there is never taking a shot back. Another thing I have learned is ethics are an acquired trait best built when it is taught early by a mentor such as a dad or uncle. Some people have ethics and others do not. That is just the way it is. When I shoot my goal is a quick humain kill and anything else isn't satisfactory to me personally. I have the utmost respect for the animal not to mention the safety aspect of shooting at a vague target. When chances are taken there is an increased possibilty of an accident. No animal no matter how big the rack is worth taking a risk. As always my hat is off to you snipe...not only for your ethics and sportsmanship but for posting this thread. Somewhere along the readers somebody might get a different perspective and become a better sportsman. Information and different opinions make people stronger.