Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

ohio hunters...

Old 11-12-2009, 04:51 AM
Spike

You can bait deer all you want. You would be surprised how many good bucks will come to bait especially in the late season...........
Old 11-12-2009, 05:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by mauser06
thanx guys!

champlain, i'm from Pennsylvania...ive seen A LOT...im expecting a zoo...but almost betting its more relaxed than some of the times ive seen in PA...my strategy will be the same...find a good funnel and thick stuff and sit in it all day and hope someone jumps em and sends em to me!
I know what you mean about Pa. Years ago before the big killoff I hunted Potter and Tioga County during bow season and decided to try rifle when it opened. I was staying in a small hunters type bar and motel and hunted the ridge just off Rt6. i got up in the dark and within an hour saw about 25 deer which were mostly doe and a couple of small bucks. Then the shooting started and I actually feared for my life. I had deer dropping all around me and got out of there never to return. Ohio wasn't quite as bad but it was still way more crowded than I am comfortable with. In Ohio we found a person with 3000 acres that would give free permission. We showed up on the opener and the road was clogged with trucks. I guess the report was they gave out permission to 250 hunters. We tried the Wayne forrest and it was better but still kind of crowded.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys!! good stuff!!

might have to try some cmere deer...works on TV ...dont know if id mess with bait or not...especially living away and not knowing if i can hunt every day or whatever...but atleast i know i have the option if i choose...not legal here so i never thought about it...

champlain, it used to be pretty wild in PA...especially the first few years of the massacre as i call it...i remember being the first one to fire on opening morning one year on state game lands..pretty awesome feeling coz after i fired, the hollow was ringing the rest of the day...i know what you mean about fearing for your life and watching deer drop like flies...the first couple years of that, i actually sat in a log pile ONTOP of a boulder just for that reason...and i could see better..and the log pile gave me cover...

its quieted down...well, havent really been on public ground for the opener since those years...but its not as bad as it was then..and not nearly as much shootin goin on...

still not sure if i'll make Ohio or not...hoping to...looking at the topos of the areas i found, the terrain looks like my kinda woods..and ive coon hunting in some competitions in the area and know the terrain is what im familiar with...so we'll see...if i find out i can go, im going...
Old 11-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

You might want to look at Zaleski National park as well.