Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

doin something wrong?

Old 11-10-2009, 09:41 AM
Spike

Default doin something wrong?

I need some help. I have been working this area now for about a month. Morning, evening, all day during brwn and dwn. Theres a lot of signs both am the trails and around the water source. I have set up a portable stand, used scent spray but still no sighting. I hear movement in the thick but thats all except the occasional grunt. Help
Old 11-10-2009, 09:44 AM
Spike

What state you hunting in dend?
Old 11-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Set up some trail cameras.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Usually being persistent has great advantages. However, that depends on the situation.

When it comes to deer hunting and targeting the same place over and over, the opposite is true. The more you hunt, the more you will not have any luck. The reason is you are alarming the deer with all your activity.

You make noise and leave scent when you go to your stands. The same when you leave. Each time you hunt, the ground scent you leave behind lingers for many hours and the deer can smell that after you have left.

It really depends on the noise you make and how much scent you are leaving behind, but overall, hunting the place over and over is usually not a good thing to do. Always have multiple spots to hunt. I am a successful hunter. While luck may have a very small part in that, the reason I'm successful is that I scout a lot. Scouting reveals where the deer are and what they are doing. I always have more areas to hunt that I can handle. This way I'm not over-hunting one location.

There could be many things you are doing right, yet again, there could be many things you are doing wrong. For one thing, never ever hunt a stand when the wind is wrong.

Good luck. I'm going to scout now, really.

iSnipe.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:57 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Rugermk2
What state you hunting in dend?
North Idaho
Old 11-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Spike

When you have your areas are they close to ea. other or are they in different areas all together. I have hunted approx. 5 different areas in 4 seperate units. I try to get in early with minimal noise and scent.or so I thought. Suggestion!
Old 11-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Spike

I am hunting on public land, North Idaho