Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
An Overlooked Spot! What to think of 35-40 scrapes in .5 mile area? >

An Overlooked Spot! What to think of 35-40 scrapes in .5 mile area?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

An Overlooked Spot! What to think of 35-40 scrapes in .5 mile area?

Old 11-09-2009, 02:33 PM
Spike

Default An Overlooked Spot! What to think of 35-40 scrapes in .5 mile area?

Hey guys Iam looking for some advice on scraping. I live in Vermont and Iam a die hard hunter. After logging over 150 + hours in the woods with the bow seeing over 100 deer and shooting one, Iam switching gears to our rifle hunt. I was hiking this weekend switching to my rifle sets and I found several agressive scrapes and rubs. I have never seen anything like this. In one area along an over grown four wheeler trail in an orchard I found a section of scrapes with licking branches on all 4 scrapes. Each scrape was 3-4 foot ft. in diameter. I turned around and found a solid 4' diam . scrape right at the base of a 3-4 inch diameter alder about 10 feet off the trail. The buck had raked the tree while he tore the bottom of it up. Another 25 feet up the tree there was a smaller scrape. AS i continued my hike i found several more scrapes, loosing count eventually. I also found several rubs. Both the rubs and the scrapes were of differing sizes but were concetrated in areas. Is this one buck or multiple bucks competing. I have never seen anything like this. I have hunted scrapes but never seen anything like this in my years. Ahould i be setting up in these areas and doing some rattling/grunting?
Old 11-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Typical Buck

I have seen multiple bucks working the same scrapes/rubs over the years. It definitely sounds like a hot area and I wouldn't give up the bow yet if you have a buck tag left. A lot can change quick out there and that scrape line might go cold quick before gun season starts, im not sure of your seasons. Keep an eye on the area in any event.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Typical Buck

Hunt that area NOW!!!!!!!!
Old 11-09-2009, 03:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Yup looks like you have several buck working that area and thanks to the AR there is more than one mature deer. Good luck and tread lightly.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's impossible to make an accurate judgement without seeing the spot. Now, if you'll just provide GPS coordinates or driving directions, I'll gladly go out some early morning and take a look. Any firearms in my possession will be strictly for protection against bears, I assure you...

Seriously: it sounds like you found the motherlode.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

You've been putting down C'mere Deer again haven't you?!?

Lol... You better be hunting that area, if not; kick yourself in the butt!
Old 11-09-2009, 07:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

1. Everyone of the bucks working this are 100% nocturnal.

2. They are all spikers and forkhorns.

3. Nothing older than 1-1/2 years old.

4. I think I'd hunt it.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen similar things. I agree there are multiple bucks scraping in the area. I'd hunt it ASAP, being extremely careful about the wind. When buck sign is concentrated like that, you know they are spending time there, possibly loafing around before they start chasing does. Too much pressure will shut the area down, so easy does it at first. Get more aggressive if needed. Don't shoot the first good buck if you believe there are better ones.