HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - An Overlooked Spot! What to think of 35-40 scrapes in .5 mile area?
Old 11-09-2009, 02:33 PM
BenBuck1121
Spike

Default An Overlooked Spot! What to think of 35-40 scrapes in .5 mile area?

Hey guys Iam looking for some advice on scraping. I live in Vermont and Iam a die hard hunter. After logging over 150 + hours in the woods with the bow seeing over 100 deer and shooting one, Iam switching gears to our rifle hunt. I was hiking this weekend switching to my rifle sets and I found several agressive scrapes and rubs. I have never seen anything like this. In one area along an over grown four wheeler trail in an orchard I found a section of scrapes with licking branches on all 4 scrapes. Each scrape was 3-4 foot ft. in diameter. I turned around and found a solid 4' diam . scrape right at the base of a 3-4 inch diameter alder about 10 feet off the trail. The buck had raked the tree while he tore the bottom of it up. Another 25 feet up the tree there was a smaller scrape. AS i continued my hike i found several more scrapes, loosing count eventually. I also found several rubs. Both the rubs and the scrapes were of differing sizes but were concetrated in areas. Is this one buck or multiple bucks competing. I have never seen anything like this. I have hunted scrapes but never seen anything like this in my years. Ahould i be setting up in these areas and doing some rattling/grunting?